Chapter 26

I couldn't believe my ears.
Diluc... loved me?

"I apologize... if it was too sudden to tell you. You haven't shown many signs of sharing my feelings, but I simply cannot keep it in forever."

I couldn't hide my smile.

"Signs...? Well... when I talk to you... my hands get shaky and I get nervous, last night when we fell asleep, my stomach felt so strange in the morning, which was me having butterflies... and... I see you as more than a friend, Diluc."

He looked overjoyed to hear me say it out loud, like he'd been waiting for this moment for a long time.
"We can make it work. It may not be easy, but we can figure something out. I swear."

I thought to myself for a moment.
'Am I sure I want this?"

Nothing could talk me out of this.
I knew deep down I loved him. And it might've been a once in a lifetime chance, so... I took it.

"We'll make it work."
I confirmed with a nod.

Diluc let out a sigh in relief and gave me a genuinely happy smile.
"Thank you... for sticking with me."

I leaned in and lightly pressed my lips against his cheek.
It was only for a few seconds, but when I pulled away, his face was bright pink.

I laughed and turned around.
"Let's go home?" I asked, replaying everything that had just happened in my head. Diluc cleared his throat with an 'ahem' and nodded.

"Y-Yes, let's go."

I started to run out of the woods. Not fast, but enough to be able to properly see the trees around me.
He lifted a brow and used his speed to quickly catch up with me.

Before I knew it, Diluc was in front of me, and I had to stop running - but that message to myself clearly went through one ear and out the other.

I crashed into his chest.

Luckily, he caught me, but it was still embarrassing.
"You should watch where you're going~" He sarcastically whispered.

I rolled my eyes and stood up straight.
"You made me run into you! I'm not the one to blame here."

"Wow, I confessed my love to you precisely 70 seconds ago, and you're already making fun of me? Well, good luck chasing after me."
I blinked once, and when I opened my eyes, he was gone.

"At least I got a 'good luck.'" I mumbled to myself, before running in a random direction.

---

Of course, I knew that Diluc was around somewhere, but he was nowhere to be seen in the area I was in.
I reached some sort of pond.

"Ah, where have you gone?"
I glanced into the water.

All of a sudden, I saw someone's figure in the water. Lucky for me, it was only a reflection.

"Woah!"

I quickly turned around and spotted Diluc, who had just found me, instead of the other way around.

"Oh, God, you scared me."
He chuckled and pulled me into his arms. I sighed and closed my eyes, relieved that it was only him.

"My apologies, that was not my intention. Are you alright?"

I nodded and pulled away.

"Good. Let's head home, then. It is almost two in the afternoon - people will most likely be arriving here soon."

---
When we arrived home, we felt a lot more... relaxed.
My heart still felt like it was pounding, and my head kept replaying everything that had just happened outside.

"It is nice to be home, don't you think?"
Diluc stretched his arms and smiled at me.

I nodded.
"It is, it gives us a chance to relax."

To my surprise, Diluc slowly took off his gloves and placed them aside.
I had never properly seen his bare hands before; they had what looked like burn marks.

"What are those marks on your hand?" I tried not to sound rude, as I was quite intrigued. Luckily, he took it the right way.

"They're from my vision." He started, putting one of his hands out. "I tend not to use it anymore, since I fight with my vampire abilities if needed."

I took his hand and traced the burn marks with my finger.
It caught Diluc off guard, but he didn't move.

I soon realized what I was doing and moved my hand.
"Ah, sorry..."

"You have nothing to be sorry for."
I smiled slightly at his response. "I will make us a meal later tonight. It would be a good way to finish off the day, no?"

"Of course, I'd love that."