Chapter 42

"Poppy! Poppy!" Branch yelled out in excitement, the gray troll running through the village on all fours, his tongue hanging out of his mouth as he panted like a happy puppy... "Poppy! Poppy! Poppy!"

     Several trolls stopped whatever they were currently doing as he ran past, all of them giving the gray troll curious looks. What the hair was he doing?

     Running as fast as he possibly could, Branch made his way past all the staring trolls, the village grump following Poppy's scent to track her exact location, the survivalist finally spotting his friend at the beach, the young princess sitting in the sand with her toes in the water...

     "Poppy!" the young boy called out again, Poppy hearing the call and turning around...

     "Hugh?" she questioned in a soft mutter, the young princess confused about the way Branch was currently running towards her... "Branch?"

     Continuing to run at full speed, Branch rushed right up to the love of his life, the young boy beginning to jump around with joy on his four feet, the usually grumpy troll laughing happily...

     "I have great news!" he announced, the biggest smile ever plastered right on his gray face as he gazed up at Poppy in excitement.

     "Does it have anything to do with why you're acting strange?" Poppy questioned with a raised eyebrow, completely confused by his behavior...

     "What do you mean?" Branch asked, sitting down to scratch behind his ear with his foot, Poppy watching on in confusion...

     It was then... that Branch finally realized what he was doing...

     His eyes widened in horror as the little gray troll quickly rose up to his two feet, clearing his throat as he looked away from the pink troll who was now staring at him...

     "I... uh... I... I..." Branch stammered, not knowing how to explain what had just happened without revealing his secret... the poor boy's heart racing in fear at the thought of being caught... all because he let his emotions take control... "I... I was just..."

     But before he could come up with an excuse, Poppy suddenly began to chuckle, shaking her head to tell Branch to stop talking...

     "You know... I've never seen you happy before," Poppy said, smiling at her friend. "I like it... you have a beautiful smile..."

     "Uh..." Branch muttered softly, his eyes wide as he looked at the beautiful pink troll in front of him... She liked his smile? "Y... yeah... well... uh... I... th... thanks," he finally continued, nervously rubbing the back of his head as he blushed slightly, looking away from his friend shyly... She liked his smile... ☺️

     Quickly, snapping himself out of his lovestruck state, Branch looked back up at Poppy, his excited smile instantly returning to his face...

     "Listen... I have something to tell you!" he finally continued, wanting to share the good news with the troll he cared about more than anything else in the world. "I got my hearing back!"

     At the sound of those words, Poppy looked to the little gray troll, the young princess cocking her head slightly in confusion.

     "But... the doctor said it was permanent," she objected.
"The doctor was wrong!" Branch exclaimed. "Go ahead! Say something and I'll repeat it!"

     Quickly, the young boy covered his good ear with his hand, smiling over at Poppy as he waited excitedly for her to speak.

     Then... just like a few hours before... the young princess's lips began to move, no sound coming out whatsoever...

     Branch's smile instantly faded at this realization, his head lowering and ears drooping down in despair...

     "Oh..." he muttered, clear sadness being heard in his soft voice. "I... I guess it didn't come back..."

     Poppy looked at him sadly, feeling bad for her friend...

     "I'm sorry, Branch..." she apologized, placing a gentle hand on the gray troll's shoulder...

     "No..." Branch sighed, pulling away from the young princess' comforting grasp, the young boy trying hard to avoid eye contact. "It... it's ok. I just... have to get used to it... It's not your fault..." 

     Why couldn't he hear anything anymore? He heard her voice so clearly earlier that day. Well... maybe not clearly... but still! Maybe he could only hear through both ears in his wolf form... his senses were heightened even farther than in his troll state...

     Branch sighed once more, the survivalist finally looking back up at Poppy...

     "Sorry for bothering you..." he apologized, slowly beginning to walk away, but Poppy quickly grabbed his shoulder before he could leave her side, Branch turning back to her as she shook her head...

     "You don't bother me at all, Branch. Ever..." the young princess assured firmly. "I always love seeing you... I especially love seeing that smile of yours..."

     Branch couldn't help but smile slightly, the survivalist blushing a bit as he looked away from her once again...

     "Thanks..." the little gray troll muttered shyly, Poppy smiling kindly at her friend as she suddenly wrapped her arms around the young boy, hugging him tight...

     "You can always come to me whenever you want to talk..." Poppy whispered into her friend's ear. "You're not alone, Branch... I'll always be here for you... no matter what..."

     Branch smiled at those kind words, the village grump gently hugging her back as he began to involuntarily purr with joy...