Chapter 33

"D... don't look at me..." Branch whimpered, covering his face with his hands, ashamed of what he was, and not wanting Poppy to see him this way... "I... I'm a monster..."

"No, Branch..." Poppy said softly, slowly walking towards the softly crying troll with a sympathetic expression. "You're not a monster..."

"Yes I am..." Branch sniffled in despair, finally looking up at the young princess who gasped softly at the horrible look of sorrow on her friend's face... "Look at me. I'm hideous..."
"Because of your injuries?" Poppy questioned, slightly confused by the village grump's words. "Branch... you look fine."
"Wha... what?"

Slowly, Branch looked at his hands, gasping in shock at what he saw...

     They were... normal... No fur... no claws... nothing whatsoever. Just two normal troll hands...

Quickly, he jumped up to his feet, running over to the mirror hanging on his bathroom wall, the young boy sighing in relief as he saw he was a troll once again... he wasn't the wolf... he wasn't a monster... his secret was still safe...

"What's wrong, Branch?" Poppy asked in concern, walking up behind him... "What's going on?"

     "N... nothing. I'm just... tired," Branch lied, turning back to look at the young princess as he nervously rubbed the back of his head...

     "Well... ok..." Poppy started, still seeming worried about her best friend. "But you'll come see me if you need anything... right?"

He nodded in reply, smiling innocently, just wanting the troll he cared about so much to leave before he accidentally hurt her...

"Ok..." Poppy sighed. "Good night, Branch..."
"Good night, Poppy..." Branch muttered softly as his innocent grin faded from his face, the survivalist suddenly seeming extremely saddened to see her go...

Before she left, the young princess looked back at her best friend, the gray troll's entire body still covered in scratches from the night he was attacked...

     Did the wolf really do that to him? Maybe it was a monster after all...

Finally, Poppy headed up the elevator, and out of the bunker... leaving Branch's sight in a matter of seconds...

With a sigh mixed with relief and sorrow, the young boy finally looked down at his hands again... They were still normal... but how long would it last?

Slowly, Branch turned back to the mirror, the little gray troll looking at his reflection...

     With a quick gulp of fear, the young boy looked at the reflection of his eyes, slowly blinking them shut...

"AHHHHH!" the survivalist screamed out in pure terror, jumping back in surprise when he reopened his eyes to see that they were suddenly glowing an icy blue color once more...

He rubbed his eyes fiercely, finally opening them yet again as he looked into the mirror, seeing that they were now back to normal...

"What the hair is happening to me..."