Chapter 19

The group of trolls carried the large wolf back towards the village, all seven of them holding him firmly in their grasps to prevent his escape, while Poppy walked behind, watching sadly, hating to see the poor creature in this condition...

Branch was not unconscious, still slightly aware of his surroundings though he was struggling to stay awake, his eyes shut and breath slow...

Groaning softly in discomfort, the survivalist tried his best to change positions in the troll's who carried him's arms, but he couldn't seem to force himself to move... He was just in too much pain. The cuts from where Creek's pitchfork had stabbed into him were bleeding fiercely and looked as if they would never stop, seeming to drain Branch's energy almost completely...

     This was it... he didn't have the energy to move... to escape... to do anything... All he could do was lay in the trolls' arms, allowing them to carry him to what most certainly will be his doom...

Suddenly, a strangely comforting smell came to his nose, the wolf beginning to sniff weakly at the air to try and locate this familiar scent...

     No doubt... he knew who this smell belonged to... it was Poppy... he would know her anywhere...

It took all the energy he had, but the survivalist finally managed to open his eyes, gazing straight at the pink troll in sorrow...

Poppy's heart broke at the sight as she looked deep into those gorgeous crystal blue eyes...

     She could see his fear... his sadness... his pain... He just wanted to get away from them. He wanted to live...

Tears came to the young princess' eyes as she and the wolf stared right at each other, seeming to connect on a deeper level than either of them ever thought was possible...

Finally, Branch let out another tired groan before allowing his eyes to fall shut once more, his breath heavy and slow...

—————

Finally, the group of friends arrived back in the village, the trolls there all beginning to cheer out in excitement as they saw the captured wolf along with them.

     "We have captured the beast!" Creek announced, sounding completely self-assured. "Yay!" the villagers all cheered in excitement, the purple nuisance taking several confident bows as Peppy watched, smiling as he looked at the weakened wolf...

     "Get a cage!" the old king ordered with a smile, a group of trolls immediately complying to the request, and pushing a large cage into the center of the village, so the the wolf could be thrown inside.

Branch groaned as he was tossed into the cold metal cage, but didn't even try to get up, knowing he had no chance at escape as the bared door was immediately slammed shut and locked behind him...

"This monster is no longer a threat to our kind, thanks to my daughter Poppy and her group of courageous friends!" Peppy announced loudly, the entire village erupting into cheers of joy as the group of wolf captures stood up in front of the crowd, Creek taking several more bows, the snack pack waving with large smiles, and Poppy just standing awkwardly as she fiddled sadly with her finger tips. "And until I figure out what to do with it..." the old king continued. "The hideous monster will remain in this cage. Locked up, so it can never be free again!"

More cheers erupted from the crowed as they all rushed off to celebrate their tremendous victory, but although Poppy was the most party loving troll that ever lived... she didn't go to join them... instead... she just stood there sadly, gazing at the locked up wolf who was whimpering softly in pain and fear...

     "This is my fault..."