Chapter 15: Dark Dealings

Start from the beginning

In my opinion, I do not trust these umbrella people. Even though Umbrella Europe made me - that I know - these people are hiding something more sinister here. Just be on your toes, I will communicate with you later. I feel your body is tired.

And with that, the tentacle vanished back into your arm, leaving you alone and slightly shaken. You shoved your head into the towel, letting out a big huff. It was right, the bed was feeling very welcoming right now. Drying off the rest of your frame, you hopped into some comfy clothes, your body mere inches from collapsing on the bed.

A deep red light engulfed the room, loud sirens blaring that sent your body into shock. You instinctively dashed to the cupboard to put on normal clothes the site had given you, rapid footsteps approaching. Finally getting on the last of your apparel, a mighty foot blasted down the door.

"No rest for the wicked kid. We got an emergency," Nikolai commanded, barely out of breath. He was already in his battle suit, reminiscent of a wolf with claws on his gauntlets and a wolf skin wrapped around his head leading down his back like one of those bear skin rugs. Your equipment is already on the chopper?"

"Chopper?" You inquired, joining the Silver Wolf in the mad dash towards the roof. When you slammed open the door, you were battered by gusts of wind from the already spinning rotors of the helicopter. You hopped on effortlessly with Nikolai following suit.

"Sometimes it's best not to ask questions and just go with the flow, eh?" Nikolai joked, though it was swept away by the helicopter's blades. You both put transceivers deep into your ears to hear the mission debriefing. Oddly calm being ripped from your well-needed respite, you listened closely into the earpiece to decipher exactly what was causing the ruckus.

"Nemesis -- Silverwolf, your mission: Multiple organisms formally known as Nomus are currently attacking multiple parts of Hosu city. Fire is widespread and there are already numerous deaths and injuries. These creatures are the same kind you fought at the USJ, so be careful Nemesis. Your goal is to save and destroy. Think of this as your first major test, young man. Good luck to you both. ETA: Five minutes."

A ball of despair wedged its way into your stomach as your gaze wandered across the skyline. Reflecting off the lights of still-standing buildings, giant plumes of smoke filled the open air, their monstrous size and destructive nature bolstered by the fires that raged on below them. Though still hundreds of feet above it all, imagined screams and wails for mothers and fathers made their way to your ears, dragging you down the road of your dark past. You looked away to be met with the cool eyes of Nikolai.

You merely gave a nod in response. Now was not the time to dwell in your head. There were people to be saved. Reputation to uphold. And most importantly, villains that needed to be reprimanded.

The chopper circled quickly before finding a suitable place in an apartment complex not far from the main struggle. You hopped out with Nikolai, the chopper taking you back to the sky mere seconds after the two of you left. Now equipped with your renowned hero suit with the vials (in case your power was to hit the wrong person), you steeled your resolve, turning into Nemesis and hopping into the confusion below.

❖~~~~~~~~❖⟡❖~~~~~~~~❖

The beast's footsteps cracked the pavement below it, the blazing fires surrounding it casting an eerie glow over its muscular figure. Though it had no eyes, it still eyed down its prey with malevolent intent. Its lower jaw could not form a smile without the top half, but the excitement of nearing a kill was evident in its posture. Its shadow loomed dreadfully over a crying mother and her child, clutching onto one another throughout the midst of chaos. Closed eyes. Silent tears. The mother prepared for the end time. The child was still too young to understand the predicament they were in.