Chapter 14: Umbrella.

❖~~~~~~~~❖⟡❖~~~~~~~~❖

"Mr. (L/N), if you'd please step in," a stoic-looking man hummed, unlatching the car door. He had a clean-shaven face, slicked back ebony hair, with specs to match. His black suit blended with his attire, the Umbrella patch in the same place as the rest of the impudent people that worked in the shadows. The car was a lookalike, with black tinted windows and black rims, the colors dragging themselves straight out of the darkest shadow.

The rucksack Bob had told you to bring was slumped over your shoulder loosely. It was stuffed with mostly clothes and other valuables, but other than your family framed photo, everything else was obsolete. Speaking of...

"Um...where is Bob by chance?" you inquired,  rubbing the side of your arm. Certainly, he would have been here, Bob didn't miss out on anything. Especially when you tried to hide your extra vegetables under the napkin before throwing it out for dinner.

"Ah yes...Bob. He is at our...facility as of now. Now please, we must leave with utmost haste. There are many people that want to speak with you."

Slowly turning to look back at your homestead, a pang of bleakness hits your heart. It was an odd feeling, going away from the closest thing to a safe place you've had in years. At least school was different, you actually knew what to expect. When it came to Umbrella, your answer lay hidden in a haystack while you were blindfolded.

The car door shut with a soft clunk as you fiddled with the seatbelt. Meanwhile, the man filed into the driver's seat and hit his foot stomping on the gas. You flew around in your seat, holding on to the safety strap for dear life.

You said a silent prayer as the car sped further down the highway, colossal buildings silhouetted far in the distance steadily closing in.

❖~~~~~~~~❖⟡❖~~~~~~~~❖

The whir of a sleek back helicopter overhead only added to the commotion that filled the enormous field. A giant barbed-wire fence lined the perimeter of said field, a grim reminder of your start in this new life. Nestled into the center of the compound was a blockish building that grabbed your attention. Though its color was a dull grey, you could tell it was the base of operations. Especially since a jumbo-sized Umbrella emblem was carved straight into one of its sides. The helicopter settled onto the rooftop as you came closer to the gates. They opened sluggishly before your car sped and hurried its way to the main building. 

Scanning around again, it seemed like the square building was actually made up of multiple structures that fit snugly together. Particularly, it was peculiar there was barely any woodland or shrubbery in this place. You were pulled from your observations when the car door clicked open. The driver ushered you out, the sun glaring at you for a second before returning to its natural state.

Your shoes clomped on the concrete steps that led up to the building, the glass doors opening with a slight hum. You were blasted with AC, the sudden cold putting your body on edge more than it already was. The main lobby room held a desk all the way in the back, but your eyes jumped to all the white suits that dashed across the room. Scientists and lab researchers glued to their clipboards, scribbling notes frantically while going through other doors.

"It's you." a voice called out. Every head in the room crooked towards your direction, the cold look in their eyes making your skin crawl. They scuttled over quickly, glasses poised and clipboards raised. You were hit with a barrage of questions, none of them coherently understandable. Your breathing suddenly spiked, heart racing: these people were much too close.

"Alright, scram you moochers!" a familiar voice rang. Looking over the crowd of bodies, you couldn't help but smile in relief as Bob approached. He cut a path through the sea of people, grabbing you by the wrist and pulling you away. Gazing back, the researchers were already gone, sent away to do their list of tasks. Only a few had stayed though, scratching their necks sheepishly. Bob greeted the receptionist before leading you through a hallway past a pair of automated double doors.