Chapter 14. Thousand Wounds

"You haven't slept yet oğlu'm?"

Ertugrul asked Savçi as he found him sitting beside Elif's bed, looking at her.

The twins have been living in the tribe for three days and everyone have been really warm and welcoming to them. Ertugrul have been going to Konya caravansaray consistently to make sure the place and people living there are safe and fine.

Ertugrul and Halime have made a trap plan for Mongols that they were going to use the day after. Halime have gotten better with the whole attack once Ertugrul talked to her in private and told her that nothing was her mistake. He saw anger in her eyes that he never saw before. He was scared of her anger because he knew that anger could drive her into danger and he himself have lost her because of his anger.

Savçi stood up to greet his father and met his worrying eyes. "It's late, you should be sleeping." Savçi looked rough, he was holding something maybe some words or some emotions. From day one, Elif have been the one close to Ertugrul and much to his regret, he knew that he never got close to Savçi like that.

"She woke up scared, asked about you, repeated the scene of attack, that's why I stayed up to make sure she sleeps safe and tight." Savçi answered looking at Elif who was now sleeping peacefully. Ertugrul gave him a small smile. He was so sweet and caring that Ertugrul adored his son. He was soft and different in his own way.

Ertugrul extended his arm to guide Savçi towards his bed so that he too will consider falling asleep.

"Lay down, try to sleep too, I'm here with you." Ertugrul gave him a smile. Savçi smiled in response. He really wanted to bond with his father, the way Elif have bonded with him. He wanted to take the attention, the way his other two siblings have taken.

Ertugrul adjusted Savçi's blanket and sat beside him, running a hand through his soft black hair. "You know you are just like your mother. The first time I saw you, I got the exact same reflection of Halime. You are soft like her, your smile matches her, the shine of your eyes and her eyes is same."

"You know, I haven't told you this but I'm proud of you the most." Ertugrul told and saw how shine took over Savçi's eyes. He needed those words and Ertugrul knew that. "I'm proud of you for taking care of your mother and twin sister for all those years, I wasn't there with you. You were with them, when I wasn't. Thank you because they needed you. We.. Halime and I talked about this earlier and she told me how you have been their strength in thick and thins, how you have been the biggest support in their life in all those dark lonely years where I was supposed to be there."

"I couldn't have filled your space baba but I tried to be their support as much as I can. I protected them till I can. It was my responsibility."

Ertugrul caressed Savçi's cheek. "You understood your responsibilities well. You are so caring and intelligent Savçi. You are so special for both of us. I wish I could see you growing up but... you grew up to be an amazing son and I love you."

Tears filled Savçi's eyes as his father's words made a place in his heart.

"Now try to sleep, we have a big mission tomorrow, be my support in the tribe then you'll be back at caravansaray after a day or so and I'll miss you alot."

.............

"I think it's the worst decision we made, excluding our separation decision obviously."

Ertugrul said as Mongols circled around them. They were in the middle of the forest, Halime beside him, no alps, and around seven Mongols.

By worst decision, he meant the trap they settled for the Mongols that got played back on them. The cherry on top was the decision of splitting in order to confuse Mongols. They not just lost their alps but also presented themselves on a platter to Mongols.