Chapter 2

Ben's POV

    Finally school was over and I made my way home. As soon as I walked through the door, a wave of sorrow suddenly washed over me. Something was wrong, but I couldn't figure out what it was. I allowed the feeling to take over my body and my legs started moving on their own accord, eventually leading me to Veronica's room. Slowly, I pushed open the door and peeked inside, surprised by what I saw. Each member of the St. Cloud family was sitting in the room with the exception of Veronica. They were all staring into space and seemed to be shell shocked.

"What's going on?" I asked,  my voice quivering a bit,  scared of what might come out their mouths. I glanced around and noticed that the room was empty, like no one lived here.

"She's gone." I was startled by the sudden noise. Mrs. St. Cloud looked like she was on the brink of tears.

I stood there confused, trying to process this information. She left? Why would she leave? "It's because you rejected her, asshole." said my wolf, Brandon. I noticed a piece of paper on the bed. Picking it up I realized it's a note that Veronica left. Her words hurt but I ignored the pain I felt in my chest after reading it. How dare she tell people we were mates. I didn't want anyone to know.

"Well good riddance, none of us wanted her here anyway." I'm glad she's gone. I think.

"How could you say that? She's your mate Ben," said Mrs. St. Cloud with tears streaming down her face. "I can't believe this is happening. I can't believe that I have been such a horrible mother. What is wrong with me? What's wrong with all of us?!" She was sobbing at this point.

"This is all your fault!" exclaimed Cole, looking like he wanted to jump me.

"Don't pretend like I'm the only one who treated her like shit. All of us did, you guys included. And even though your parents didn't do the dirty work, it didn't help that they just ignored her and everything that was going on."

He was about to respond when his mother interrupted. "Ben's right Cole."

Cole looked at his mother like she was crazy. Before he could say anything, she continued, "We did treat her horribly. She didn't deserve it. We only treated her like that because we didn't want the rest of the pack to hate us too. I'm actually glad she got away before we killed her, or before she could kill herself." her voice fading towards the end, then turning to sob into Adam's shoulder. He rubbed his mate's back to calm her sobs down.

"Just leave Ben." The first words Jessica had said the entire time.I took one glance around the room before turning and walking out. Why is my heart aching? I should be glad that she was gone. She was weak anyway. I don't need her. Right?

Cole's POV

I can't believe she was gone. Our whole lives I've treated her like shit because I didn't want everyone to hate me too. Why didn't I try to defend her and make everyone stop the bullying? I don't understand what has gotten into me all these years. How could I be so cruel?

I should have been there and protected Veronica from everything, but I failed her. Blaming Cole just made me feel better, I guess. Feeling like her running away wasn't my fault. I just hope that she comes back.

Jessica's POV

I couldn't stop sobbing. She looked up to me, and of course I failed her. Honestly, I was just jealous of her beauty. Maybe she wasn't pretty on the outside, but she most definitely had a beautiful soul. Even with all the abuse she faced she never let it get her down. She was always so positive. I never understood why. Now I realize that I just might have lost my only sister forever. I just hope she's safe and happier.

Veronica's POV

How long have I been running? I had no idea, but it feels like it's been days. Feeling my legs give out, I decided to rest for a while. I rested my back on a tree to catch my breath. What I didn't expect was to start feeling my bones ache. What is going on? Then suddenly it becomes sharp pains and I can feel my bones start to break. Was I shifting?? This hurts so bad. Someone kill me now. Those were my last thoughts before everything turned black.

I woke up to the sound of a twig snapping, I was terrified. Suddenly, six large wolves stepped out growling. Instinctively I winced and shrunk back. Clearly seeing how scared I was, the growls ceased and their heads tilted to the side in confusion. They all hid behind a tree to turn back and put some clothes on.

When they came out some of them were staring at me in amazement and some kept a straight face, not revealing any emotions.

"Shift." commanded the one in the middle, which I assumed was the alpha as he was radiating power. I whimpered and pressed my back further into the tree if possible. "Don't worry, we wont hurt you."

Nodding, I went behind the tree to shift and put some clothes on. I stepped from behind the tree and they gasped. "She's beautiful," one of them whispered. "Holy shit," another one whispered. I was completely confused as to what he just said. What is he talking about? He's clearly not talking about me. Right?

Rushing over to the river to take a look at myself, and sure enough I couldn't even recognize myself. I hadn't even noticed that I wasn't wearing my glasses anymore and now I could see perfectly. My hair was no longer frizzy, it was now so black it looked blue in the light, it was super long, and it looked absolutely beautiful. My acne has cleared up, leaving perfectly smooth and tan skin. Even certain assets have gotten a lot bigger, meaning I was no longer tall and lanky, but now I was 5'11 with a beautiful curvy body. A great improvement from before.

How did this happen? Could it be because I just shifted for the first time?

Hearing a throat clear, I turned to see the alpha with his arms crossed in front of his chest. "What's your name?"

"Veronica St. Cloud."

"Well I'm Jackson, alpha of the Silverlight pack." I gasped. This was THE strongest pack of all packs. He smirked and continued introducing everyone. "This is Mason, my beta. His brother, Adrian, my third in command. The others are Caden, Jeremy, and his twin brother, Kyle."

"Hi!!" they all said in unison, while waving.

"So what are you doing in my territory?"

"I ran away from my pack. I didn't know where I was going. I'm so sorry." I said, barely above a whisper.

"Why?"

"It's a long story."

"We got time" they said while settling on the ground.

Sighing I sat down and began my story from when I could remember, till now.

By the end of my story, I was sobbing and being held by everyone as best as they could. To say they were mad would be an understatement. They kept on going on about wanting to kill Ben, along with the rest of the pack.

"What's your old pack?"

"The Dark Shadow pack"

After a few short minutes of silence, Jackson finally spoke up.

"Do you want to join our pack?"

"Seriously? You guys want me in your pack?"

"If you want to, that is "

"Of course I do! Thank you, thank you, thank you!"

They chuckled and led the way towards the house. On the journey, I found out that the only one with a mate was Mason and her name is Anabelle. I also learned that Jackson's mate died a year ago, which is so devastating. All of them were eighteen, while Adrian was the youngest at seventeen.

After getting to know all the boys, we all became best friends. Somehow, I could see that I would soon have the great life I deserved. I was determined to gain more confidence in myself and train so hard to be one of the strongest werewolves to ever exist. I needed to leave the sad and weak girl I once was in the past. This is the fresh start I've been waiting for and I was going to take advantage of it.