Chapter 1

Veronica's POV

"Wake up loser and make our breakfast!"

I was woken up by a bucket of ice cold water. I open my eyes to see Cole laughing with a bucket in his hands. As I'm about to get up, he smacked me across the face.

"You should've been awake a long time ago to make breakfast." 

Since we lived in the pack house, I was forced to make breakfast for everyone that lived here. There was definitely going to be consequences for waking up late.

As soon as Cole left I jumped out of bed, threw on jeans and an oversized hoodie, put my hair in a messy bun and ran downstairs. On the journey from my room to the kitchen received a shove here and there along with some cruel words.

It was Ben's 18th birthday today. As the future alpha this was a major event seeing as he'll be finding his mate and our future Luna. A lot of the girls in the pack were gathers in the house, waiting anxiously to see if it was them.

When I reached the kitchen I started cooking a variety of breakfast foods as fast as I could. Like always, when I finish cooking the food I grab a quick snack and run straight to my room since I wasn't allowed to eat with everyone else.

I grabbed my backpack from the floor and headed out of the house with an apple in hand unbothered. I then made my way to Green Oaks High School, dreading the day that was to come. I finally arrived just as the other pack members did. School wasn't much of an escape either. Although they didn't know what they really were, the humans still made the werewolves the popular bunch. The humans were treated with more respect than I was and even they joined in on the bullying.

While I made my way to the entrance I suddenly found myself the ground and all my belongings fell out of my backpack. When I turned to see who it was a foot made contact with my face, making my nose bleed. 

"Oops." 

 I look up again to see my sister, Jessica, in her short top, micro-mini skirt, and 6 inch heels, laughing along with her followers and the rest of the pack. I quickly gathered my things and ran to the bathroom, leaving the whole courtyard laughing.

In the bathroom, I quickly cleaned face up and started making my way to homeroom. Walking out with my head down, I was abruptly stopped by a wall. Scratch that, it was a body. It was Ben. At first I was so scared of what would happen to me and almost missed the sparks. Almost.

"Oh shit." I whispered.

Before I could say anything else, I was shoved back into the bathroom and pressed up against the wall. Without a second to waste, I felt lips roughly press against mine and I eagerly responded. My mate was here. He was going to save me and protect me from everyone.

All to soon the kiss ended and I was pushed onto the floor. Looking up with confusion clear in my eyes, I was just in time to hear the words I dreaded most coming from my mate.

"I, Benjamin Anderson, reject you, Veronica St. Cloud, as my mate. Anyone, including me, knows that you are not Luna material and you're too ugly and weak to be my mate" with that, he spun on his heels and headed out the door to leave me crying on the bathroom floor.

************1 hour later************

After an hour of crying, I finally gained enough strength to get up. Fortunately, everyone was in second period so the halls were completely empty. Just in case I got caught, I ran to the exit and headed straight home.

During the walk I started to think of all the pain I've been dealt my entire life. After very little debating, I finally came up to a decision.

I needed to run away.

It seemed like the best idea and my only chance at getting a better life. This was definitely long time coming. With that in mind, I rushed the rest of the way home and ran straight to my room, thanking the Goddess that the house was empty. I immediately started dumping clothes into a bag and quickly wrote a note.

To anyone that cares,

After seventeen years I'm glad that I finally have the courage to do this. I honestly thought that a pack, and your own family, was suppose to love you unconditionally and care for you. Clearly, I was wrong. For years, I had to deal with the abuse you guys gave to me and now I am completely fed up. By the time you read this, I'll be long gone and I know you guys wouldn't look for me. Heck, you'd probably have a party, am I right? I'm sorry I was such a disappointment to you mom and dad. I don't know what I did wrong, but I obviously did something to make you hate me so much. Cole, I feel horrible that you had to be stuck with such a horrible, ugly, and a waste of space sister. Even with the way you've treated me, I still love you. Jessica, ever since I was young, I always looked up to you, but now I know exactly how not to treat people. All the pain that I've experienced because of all you guys, is something I would never wish upon anyone, even my worst enemy. Now Ben. For years I have been living in a Cinderella fairy tale, hoping that my Prince Charming would come and sweep me off my feet. Instead, I got you. You were suppose to love me like a mate should, not treat me like trash. I would say I'm sorry for leaving, but I'm not. I'm glad that I finally get to leave and be happy the way I should have been a long time ago. 

Veronica

After writing the note, I laid it on my bed and headed for the woods. With one final glance back, I started running faster than I ever have, trying to get as far away from my past as possible. Soon I could be happy. Soon.