Of All The Nerve

Parkview Memorial Hospital

Ridgefield, Connecticut

Victoria was in the hospital. She was in her room, reading a magazine. She was suffering from some terminal illness. She sounded weak. All her friends from school were visiting her, to see how she was doing.

"Hanging in there, Victoria?" asked Justin.

"Trying, buddy," replied Victoria, her voice, barely above a whisper.

"We all signed a get well card for you!" said Raquel. She handed Victoria the card, which had a lot of signatures, not only from her friends, but her teachers as well.

"This is so sweet," croaked Victoria. "Thank you, guys."

All her friends hoped, she would be released from the hospital soon. They left her room, and said their good byes. However once they left.....

"Yes!" beamed Victoria, not sounding hoarse anymore!! "They fell for it!!! I don't have a terminal illness! I just wanted them to feel sorry for me, cause Justin didn't invite me to his birthday celebration at Ruby Tuesday!"

"Wait, did Victoria fool us?" asked Justin.

"She's okay!" said Laura. "She doesn't have a terminal illness!"

Everyone stormed back into her room, and glared at her.

"Uh oh!" gasped Victoria.

"You liar!" barked Pedro.

"I hope I get better soon," said Victoria, trying to sound hoarse again, to fool everyone.

"You can cut out the act, sister!" hissed Heather. "Let's teach her a lesson, guys!"

And, so everyone ganged up on Victoria, and started to beat her up. The nurse was not happy, and called her parents, to let them know, she lied about having a terminal illness.

Victoria was now a pariah to everyone. They donated so much money, that they felt betrayed. As a result, she lost a lot of friends.

Victoria was told to seek counselling. She had no justification for her actions.

This story was written on Tuesday, May 3rd, 2022. (Eid al-Fitr)

A/N Oh my gosh!!! What kind of person would do that?! I hate when someone fakes a terminal illness! I write to spread awareness! Don't be a silent reader. Please leave feedback. Thanks.