Chapter 2: Getting deeper

Situations like this have always happened but at the time we as a group were too blind to see it.
Samiya was the boss in our friend group and we didn't really know that because we just "followed the leader."

The situation got worse. And i got annoyed. My anger building over time at how this girl, my agemate thought she could just boss me around or use me as she pleases.
So me and Shaneiqwa started talking about her. Not necessarily behind her back but no to her face...

Its Monday I didn't sleep that much last night. I'm worried. Shaneiqwa said today is the day that we talk to her.

I get up and start my chores. My step dad is shooting me dirty looks from his room because i woke up late I'm supposed to have woken up at 6:00 am but as i glance at the clock i see it is 6:29. Oops. I hoover the house. And take out the bins. I pass my sister in the corridor getting changed into her uniform. I look at the clock on the wall. 7:05.
"Have you finished cleaning the kitchen?" I ask doubtfully.
"I- i just woke up sorry please don't tell Taiwo." She looks at me with pleading, desperate, tired eyes and my hearts melts.

"I would never, don't worry."
I grab my towel as she scurries away and I get into the shower.

An hour later we're ready. Or at least i hope we are. I cross the landing and walk towards his room, and i knock. Three times in the hard oakwood door and wait.

After what seems like hours but was really only a few minutes, my stepdad opens his door.
"We have finished doing our chores we'te ready for you to check."
Ever since we were little we've been living with our stepdad and his girlfriend as our mother wasn't able to take care of us. We've had our ups and downs but i'm starting to see that there is something very wrong happening around here.