A Dagger

Whatever Emery felt toward Cullen, she wasn't going to turn down an opportunity to see more of the world beyond Dun-Dealgan. The following morning, a host of them left through the front gates, quiet yet stimulated, having spent hours preparing. Oonagh had unfortunately been unable to join them, as her father was ill, and the family needed her help, but Tess and Emery had packed a small trunk between the two of them and added it to the carts that carried others' belongings and weaponry and materials to set up camp and whatever else people had brought. When they'd arrived at the stables, Emery had been confused when Tess was given her pony (which Tess immediately began speaking to as if it were some impossibly small, cute animal), but when Emery had been directed to Liath Macha, Cullen's gray stallion, she thrilled with excitement. Whatever misgivings she'd felt the previous day about joining him on this trip evaporated. In fact, climbing up onto the back of the horse, Emery was ready to forgive anything Cullen had said or done over the whole course of their acquaintance. Nothing could compare to the pride and joy she felt atop Liath Macha.

On his back, she rose over most of the other riders, including the brothers and Lóegaire and Bricriu and the host of random men and few women that had accompanied them. She was about level with Keltar, with only Cearnach and Cullen able to claim a few inches on her.

It would be about a three-day ride to their destination, which Cathbad named as Cathair Chon-Raoí, in the Slieve Mish Mountains. The king, Cú Roí, was to Munster what Conchobar was to Ulster, and he had his own chieftains and warriors and subjects. Ulster's relationship with Munster had been rocky, though not as rocky as that with Connacht. Cú Roí had even attempted to join the Connachtmen during the Táin bó Cúailnge, when Cuchulain had fought off the entire army of Connacht single-handedly. Apparently, Cú Roí's weapon of choice was the stone, and he was a mighty stone-thrower at that. He and Cuchulain had had several run-ins with one another, sometimes on the same side, and sometimes on opposite sides, but they seemed to share a mutual respect.

While all Cathbad's information was interesting, Emery gave him the silent treatment throughout the first hours of the ride, while he and Tess and she rode side by side. It would've been difficult to talk to him anyway, as Liath Macha put her three or four heads above him on his speckled palfrey. Whether or not the druid sensed she was ignoring him, Emery couldn't tell; he spoke as if he were happy to hear his own voice, and surely that had something to do with their other companion, Tess.

What exactly was going on with Tess and Cathbad was a mystery to Emery. The two of them had clear affection for one another, but they never spoke of it in front of her. Even long ago, when they'd been in her illusory world, Emery had noticed the two of them share some looks, but not until that night at Camp Hack-a-back, when she'd had to lead Evil astray, had they become so close. Something had happened between them that night, when she'd left them alone in a cabin with the druid demanding Tess restrain him so he couldn't hurt anyone, and whatever it was, neither would discuss it with Emery. She'd hoped Tess would drop hints at some point, but that hadn't happened. Now, riding atop her horse and looking down at the smiling pair, Emery couldn't help but frown a little.

Her mind wandered much, and for that first half of the first day, Emery found herself enjoying the sense of freedom that the open countryside brought. They'd left Dun-Dealgan and headed south along a crude road, staying a good ways away from the forests, and for some time they crossed low plains that gave way to sweeping hills, orange and pale green and yellow, low-hanging mists left and right as they moved through valleys. They passed isolated farmsteads and roundhouses where sheep grazed in all their wooliness, scattered like pebbles across the hillsides. The skies were gray but free of rain, and though winds swept by, they didn't quite cut through her cloak and hood. The journey was pleasant.

Cullen and the other members of the Red Branch rode near the front of the procession, and though he'd tried to place her near himself when they started out, Emery had been firm in wanting to be with Tess and the druid, who were next in line after the Red Branch, anyway. There were about thirty other warriors. Three of them were women, whom Emery found fascinating. They looked fierce, dressed similarly to the men, weapons strapped every which way around them. One had even shaved off most of her hair except for a thick braid that went from the top of her scalp, across her head, and down her neck and back. Two of them also had tattoos snaking up their necks. Emery felt an intense admiration toward them.