Heart of Gold

It wasn't so long since I posted a chapter, but here I am again!
This one shot is a rather different and shorter than the ones I do. It is an old thing I've written on Twitter that I never posted here. It was a rather different writing style than what I do. Also, it's a very Hilde focused chapter.
Anyways, I hope you enjoy!

"Sweetie, are you there? May I enter?" Hilde's mom knocked on the bedroom's door. Hilde hesitated to answer for a moment, her eyes glazed with pain, but she replied.
"Yeah, you can."
She opened the door slowly as it creaked. Her mom steps in holding a plate, containing a slice of bread and some fruit. She walks over to Hilde, who is sitting down at her bed, nervously checking her phone.
"You haven't left your bedroom in a while, so I decided to bring some lunch." She left the plate by Hilde's bedside table. Hilde looked up, and weakly smiled.
"Thank you."
Hilde just put her phone down and picked up the plate, with not much enthusiasm. She looks up to her mom that sits down at the bed. Hilde starts feeling nervous, as she expected her mom to leave rather than stay with her. She felt like she was going to ask her something serious.
"So..." her mom quietly started "...what is going on?"
Hilde's body stiffened, and she had to fix her posture to feel more comfortable. Her eyes were evasive, and decided to look down rather than face her mother.
"What do you mean?"
You haven't left home a lot recently. Been quiet, mostly in your room. Like right now." her mom said. Hilde's grip on the plate grew tighter. Of course, her parents would occasionally notice something was going on.
Her mom got closer to her, her eyes full of concern "Did something happen? You've been so quiet... And haven't told us anything. What is going on?"
Hilde stayed in silence, still looking down. She hated acting like that, but she was afraid of breaking down by saying anything.
"You haven't even been visiting Kirell. She must be so worried... Have you guys talked? Or did something happened?"
Hilde's hands trembled by the mention of Kirell's name. She tried to control her anxiety, growing each second. Her mom must have noticed it.
"Hilde, be honest."
Honesty... Isn't that what she was about? She felt stupid for making her mom tell that. Hilde sighed sharply.
"Me and Kirell... aren't friends anymore." She said, trying to control her shaky voice and wish to sob.
Her mom paused to look at Hilde, and went on.
"...How come? Why did it happen? Was there a fight?"
Hilde put her plate back on the table, as she lifted her hand to rub her nose that started getting runny. Her lips trembled as she attempted to say any words.
"We just... she just doesn't want to be friends with me anymore. That's it."
Her mother kept looking at her, expecting more for her to say, but Hilde just held her legs close to her body, holding them close.
"...But why? Why so suddenly? Did you two have a misunderstanding?"
"I..." Hilde's voice failed. "I can't even explain it well." She finishes her sentence with a sniff.
"Aw... honey..."
Her mother then hugged her tightly. For a moment, Hilde felt her emotions run wild as she wished to cry. But she still held the tears inside.
"Why don't you try talking to her again? Maybe apologizing? Mistakes happen all the time."
Hilde pulled away, angry.
"But Kirell did something bad! I... I can't even talk to her about it! She doesn't even want to talk! I can't do anything!"
Her mother watched her rant, silently. Hilde looked back at her, ashamed for her sudden change of tone.
"I'm sorry... I didn't mean to lash out..."
Her mom sighed and then patted her head. "It's fine... it's frustrating, I know."
She went on "But... How bad was it? Did she hurt you? Did she say something you didn't like?"
Hilde's mouth trembled, but she went on "It's... m-much more complicated than that. I wish I could explain..."
"You said that Kirell doesn't want to be your friend anymore. Is it because of what she did?"
Bingo, she was catching on. Hilde nodded, sniffing her nose.
"Then, what are you sad about? Is it because you're not friends anymore, or because she did something you didn't agree with?"
That question caught her by surprise. Hilde averted her eyes.
"I'm angry at her for what she did. I'm not sad."
Big lie, and her mother knew about it.
"You're upset over what she did. You are hurt. But, by the way you said it, Kirell knows that. She did what felt fair to you."
Hilde raised her head, confused. "H-how come?"
"Why would she choose not to be friends with you if not because of regret? Don't you think she is just afraid of making that same mistake again? If so, is she really that bad of a friend?"
Hilde quietly stuttered, as her head tried to process that information. She felt so confused and lost... in huge pain since the last time she talked to Kirell.
"I'm sorry, I'm sorry if I'm not helping out. I'm still trying to understand what is going on."
"It's fine..." Hilde sniffed, as she turned around to lay her head on her mother's lap. She felt it was better to explain to her directly what happened.
"Kirell told me something about her... something I didn't believe at first. About something she does. And because of that... We can't talk to each other anymore. She said... It's better that way."
Her mother caressed her hair "When you introduced me to Kirell, she looked like a troubled kid to me. But a nice, kind one...
Hilde, what do you think she thinks of that situation?"
Hilde stayed still, thoughtful. Then she replied.
"I think... She doesn't like it either. She... is trying to protect me."
"Then..." Her mother went on "Do you really think she doesn't want to be friends with you?"
Hilde slightly shook her head "I... I'm not sure..."
"What do you think she wants?"
"She... wants me to be safe. And..." Hilde teared up "...wanted that this never had to happen..."
"And what do you want?"
Hilde's emotions lashed out as she asked that... her fears and worries toward her friends coming clear.
"I-I want..." Hilde cried "...t-to be able help her... I want her to feel b-better..."
Her voice failed as she cried, and she hugged her mother.
Hilde cried out all she had, and her mom stayed there, in silence, letting her. Once it was reduced to a quiet sobbing, she spoke.
"Hilde, in your heart, she will always be your friend. If you can't talk to each other again, at least know she will always be there for you."
Hilde sniffed as she heard her mother speak.
"Once you understand that, you should tell her how you feel. It's bad to hold grudges against people you know that are good. If you feel like you can fix this, then follow your heart as you wish."
Hilde raised her head, and nodded, with her eyes bright from crying. Her mom then gives her a motherly cheek kiss.
"Just be careful... and don't hold these things only to yourself. It will only hurt you. And I hate to see my daughter in pain."
"S-sorry." Hilde sobbed quietly. But her mom just tightly hugged her.
"You little baby... you always had a heart of gold..." She gave her a kiss on the head, which made Hilde quietly chuckle. "Is that all then? If I leave you be, do you think you'll be able to handle it?"
Hilde rubbed her eyes. "I-I... need some thinking. I... should have said something sooner. But... now I think I know what to do."
"That's my baby." her mother smiled "Then I'll leave you to it. But please go downstairs later, we are missing you lots there."
"Ok, I will." Hilde replied, Her mother then patted her head and headed to the door.
"Everything will be fine. You're sweet and strong, and I know Kirell wants the best for you. So... keep your head up. We love you so much."
"Thank you so much, mom." Hilde smiled "I love you too."