♦ chapter four ♦

The cell toppled end over end so rapidly Signy couldn't think straight as she hurtled towards the ground

The cell toppled end over end so rapidly Signy couldn't think straight as she hurtled towards the ground. The only thing that existed anymore was her rapid breaths and the frantic shrieks erupting from her mouth without her permission. Her lungs fought to keep oxygen flowing as Signy's anxiety overflowed.

Her eyes cut outside to a large expanse of water. Her hand extended towards it, heart longing for the power it flooded her with. Signy swallowed her fear and put her gravity manipulation into effect, ceasing the way her body was thrown around the space.

There was a moment of stillness that Signy used to catch her breath. Then, with all the time she had left and all the power she could muster, she brought a huge shard of ice into the side of the cell, stopping its descent only feet from the ground.

With the abrupt stop in motion, her control of the gravity was lost and her frail body slammed into the cold metal.

Signy groaned as she rolled onto her back, holding a hand to her chest as she calmed her breathing. Angry tears grew in the corners of her eyes as her anxiety slowly decreased.

She pulled herself up, though her entire body ached with the pain of her brother's betrayal. Signy crawled out of the cell and brought a wave of water up to transport her over to the grass. She laid back in it, again catching her breath. She looked up at the Helicarrier as it continued to lose altitude before Tony was able to stabilize the exploded engine.

The problem was fixed, though, and for a moment, the Avengers were able to take a breath. But Signy was left heartbroken, knowing what they'd discover when the dust settled.

"Agent Coulson is down," Signy heard Fury say through their comms, though it was struggling to stay connected at their growing distance.

"A medical team is on its way to your location," someone responded.

"They're here... They called it."

Signy laid on her back in the grass and let the hot, angry tears come. Exhaustion hit her like a freight train as her comms finally cut out. In her frustration, she threw the comm from her ear, as far away as her remaining strength would take it.

Thor landed on the grass beside her, crouching down and dropping his hammer. His hand came to rest on his sister's cheek. "Signy..."

She slapped his hand away and stood up, embarrassed as she wiped away the streaks of tears down her cheeks. "Tell me you got him. After I left... tell me you caught him."

Thor shook his head.

Though Signy still faced away from him, she knew what the silence meant. She drew a swirl of water from the body beside them and when she emerged from it, she was dressed in mossy blue Asgardian robes. "I'm gonna get him."

---♦♢♦---

Tony flew up to the newly built Stark Tower, dropping Signy onto the roof beside the hypnotized man. "Dr. Selvig," she beckoned. "Please, shut it down before it's too late." Knowing Loki's influence, she was hesitant to make judgments of any under his control, especially knowing Agent Barton had returned the man he once was.