♦ chapter eight ♦

A prison break was staged in the middle of Thor and Jane's conversation with Frigga and Signy

A prison break was staged in the middle of Thor and Jane's conversation with Frigga and Signy. "The prisons," Frigga said as the alarm blared.

"Loki," Thor remarked.

"Go. I will look after Jane and Signy."

"And Signy?" the younger girl repeated. "I will not let Loki get loose while I sit complacently."

"Just stay with Mother!" Thor yelled back as he took off towards the prisons.

"I cannot stand you people sometimes," Signy grumbled as her mother linked their arms.

They made their way back towards the throne room where Odin finished directing guards to their positions to manage the prison break. "Frigga. It's a skirmish. Nothing to fear."

The regal woman smiled. "You've never been a very good liar."

"Take them to your bed chambers. I'll come for you when it's safe," he said.

Sif walked by and Signy held up her hands pleadingly. "Take me with you," she mouthed.

Sif smiled mischievously, but shook her head. "Listen to your parents," she replied in a whisper with an unsure look in Jane's direction.

"You take care," Frigga said to her husband.

"Despite all I have survived, my queen still worries over me." He held a hand to her cheek fondly.

"It's only because I worry over you that you have survived."

"Keep an eye on that rebellious daughter of ours."

Signy sighed. "Nothing ever changes around here, does it?"

Frigga took a sword from a passing guard and Signy, always closely watching her mother, summoned as much water from the air as she could and created a blade of her own.

"Listen to me," Frigga said to Jane. "I need you to do everything I ask, no questions."

"Yes, ma'am," Jane agreed.

"That goes for you, too, Signy. Keep close."

"Yeah, yeah," Signy muttered.

---♦♢♦---

Though her mother had instructed her to stay hidden, Signy looked out the closet she was shoved into to watch her battle a pale creature with long braids who identified himself as Malekith. She was taken off guard from behind, however, by a larger, sicklier beast who grabbed her by the neck and held her up off of the ground.

"No!" Signy shrieked, running out from her place of hiding.

She ran at the beast and attempted to impale it with the growing blade of ice in her hand, but was quickly slapped to the ground with a small cut to her cheek. "Signy," Frigga groaned as Malekith continued his pursuit of Jane.