𝒙𝒊. up in flames

HAWKINS, INDIANA — 1983

"THE FLEA AND THE ACROBAT."

Lucas, Mike Wheeler, and Dustin Henderson sat in front of the adults, Theresa and Jonathan.

"So it's called... the Upside Down," Theresa restated what the kids had just explained to them.

They nodded as if it were obvious. "Mr. Clarke said that the only way to get there is through a rip in time and space," Mike explained.

Tess raised a hand. "Hold on– Mr. Clarke? The middle school science teacher?"

Mike nodded again with impatience.

She halfway rolled her eyes, sitting back on the couch and folding her arms.

"So... how exactly are we supposed to create a 'rip in time and space?'"

"There already is one," Lucas told her. "At Hawkins Lab."

Dustin interjected, "We found it with our compasses."

Theresa, Jonathan and Joyce all stared at him.

"Okay," he continued, "so the gate has a really strong electromagnetic field and that–"

"Can change the direction of a compass needle," Theresa finished, straightening up. Maybe these kids were onto something.

They all looked at her, puzzled.

"Yeah, how'd you know?" Dustin asked.

She shrugged. "I'm not an idiot, obviously."

"Is this gate underground?" Hopper asked, finally adding into the conversation.

The girl, Eleven, gave a surprising response. "Yes," she said to him, giving him a sure look.

"Near a large water tank?" Hopper added.

El nodded. "Yes."

Dustin slowly shook his head. "H-How'd you know all that?"

Hopper did not give a response, but Mike spoke for him.

"He's seen it."

"Is there any way that you could– that you could reach Will?" Joyce inquired to Eleven. "That you could talk to him in this..."