CHAPTER 14 - DEVON

Groggy, waking up in a tangle of bodies, my first impulse was to reach for my clothes and blurt a hasty excuse for why I needed to bounce

Groggy, waking up in a tangle of bodies, my first impulse was to reach for my clothes and blurt a hasty excuse for why I needed to bounce. Late for work. Late for class. Late for football practice. But then the events from the night before hit me, and I froze. I wasn't on campus. This hadn't been a casual one-night stand with a random. I didn't want to leave.

I had slept with Lexie and Vic. Tropic sunlight slanted through the balcony door, illuminating two familiar faces on each shoulder. I was further brought to reality by the sensual feel of the cruise line sheets. Yet, the fabric was no softer than the arms and legs intertwined with mine. And the contrasting skin tones against my brown complexion looked so damn good to me.

A searing blush spread across my face as the magnitude of what we had done sank in. Did I want to interrogate what it meant regarding my sexuality? Shaking my head with a nervous grin, I inhaled the woodsy spa scent that always clung to the air and exhaled with a peaceful resolve that there was no going back. Slender fingers rested on my chest. Curly pubic hair pressed against my thigh. We had—what—nine more days to revel in the taste and texture of this fake relationship?

Lexie's doe-like eyes blinked open, catching the smile flitting across my lips. I tried to ignore the way her return smile made my heart race.

"You good?" I asked quietly, arching a brow.

She nodded with a sexy roll of her body up to a seated position. Naturally, my gaze devoured every inch of her exposed skin, and I still felt hungry for more. "Better than good," she purred. "As much as I'd love to stay on demon time, we can't lay around all day. We have our group session instead of one-on-ones this morning."

Her honeyed voice stirred Vic, who reached for their phone on the nightstand and glanced at the hour. "We're late for breakfast," Vic yawned.

Lex replied, "Yeah, we should start getting ready."

"Ever on task, Drill Sergeant," I chuckled.

"Don't act like you don't like it."

Lexie giggled, climbing from the bed. A frisson of uneasiness threatened to dampen the lighthearted vibe in the room. It was just that her self-assured offhand remark made me wonder if the sex had changed her mind about keeping things uncomplicated. Of course, I liked her legendary ability to take-charge and flawlessly run a scene, but did I like it enough to be comfortable with her knowing how much I liked it?

Vic caught my eye as I tossed aside the comforter with a bit more force than necessary. Their expression was quizzical, which felt intrusive. I didn't want them questioning my reactions. I didn't want my emotions on display, period. I forced a laugh and said to Lexie, "Nah, I like my freedom more. Don't worry about bossing me around. You just keep doing that thing you did with your tongue last night."

The moment the words left my mouth, I realized how uncharacteristically ugly of me it was to say something like that to her. It was as if I was trying to put her in her place as nothing better than a good lay, all because I was afraid to catch feelings. I didn't brave a peek across the room to where she was searching for something to wear, but I sensed her affronted glare in my direction.