Mustering up some courage, I entered the dark room, only to see his taut back towards me. 

His chair was turned around and he was facing towards the glass window. 

"Maria." my name tauntingly rolled out of his mouth. I loved how it sounded, I did every time, but I wanted my name to smoothly slip with love and affection.

He swivelled around and pressed the button to cover the glass window. It was completely dark in the room now. Suddenly a bulb flicked on and then the rest three, creating a yellow hue.

The intensity of his gaze almost had me cowering back in fear, but I had to stand strong. 

His eyes blazed with power and confidence. He had the entire empire in his after all. 

Why couldn't he just love me?

"What was that, my dear?" he mockingly called out the endearment, referring to the previous incident.

"My precious wife." he clicked his tongue, "Such a shame isn't it?" he muttered, only loud enough for me to hear when Armani and Luca barged in furiously with Antonio behind. 

Francisco's cold eyes snapped to them and their eyes cast low, silently apologising for the disrespect. 

His brown orbs softened slightly and Armani took it as his cue to charge his accusations at me. 

What was between me and Francisco, was unknown to our kids. I loved them all dearly and I knew they loved me too. 

A few tears had managed to escape my eyes as he shouted at me. I blocked out the insults and silently looked up at him with gentle eyes.

I hated how Francisco didn't even defend me. I thought after so many years, just once I could have him appreciate me to lessen his burden to find Armani a good bride. But I guess, he could never see me as I see him. My love for him was blind, his wasn't.

All the while, I hadn't uttered a single word. 

"Why can't you marry Amber? She loves you Armani, you know that. She risked her life for you. She even gave up on water to suit you, my child." I was genuinely confused by now. What had that girl not done for him? Since forever, she had been pining on him and now he wants to back off from the marriage whose contract I've already signed. 

"My son, the contract has already been signed." I answered, broken. Is this what a respectful son is supposed to do? Disrespect his mother? I've given him life and now he chooses go against me?

"Contract? Which contract?" Francisco was baffled, his eyes held fury, the same ones I wished held love for me.

I frowned, I thought he knew, "The one Amber's parents talked to you about. I have already signed the contract for his marriage." 

"If both of them agreed, then why not benefit enough, right? I mean, we get an amazing partnership with the marriage. Why not kill two birds with one stone?" I smiled at them. I knew it was such a brilliant idea. 

None of them reciprocated my excitement. 

"YOU WHAT!?" I flinched back at Antonio's roar. 

"YOU SIGNED THE CONTRACT FOR HIS MARRIAGE BY YOURSELF?" Francisco growled at me, making me step back. 

I didn't think it would matter that much. After all, the contract only asked for one of the parents to sign, and I did. I know I made a great decision.

I straightened my shoulders and shot at Armani, "The contract has been signed and you are getting engaged tomorrow." 

"Tone it down, Maria." Francisco spat at me. 

Seeing him treat me as such was new to my sons. They turned to him with shock and a hint of joy?

My eyes must be deceiving me because I swear I saw them smile a bit. 

I was embarrassed and fuming with anger.

"Well, what's done is done." I smirked at them, "The party will be held tomorrow, and there's no way out." 

With that blow, I rushed out of his office, knowing I had planned my doom.

"Her audacity!?" Luca, the calm one, bellowed.

I needed to calm myself. 

"Dad, leave it be." Armani said. "She is right, what's done is done." 

"Well, let's focus on our piccola right now, okay? And moreover, the entire family is here." he smiled slightly. I knew my son. It was bugging him, but nothing could be done at this instant.

"Daddy!" shrieked Ella (If you've forgotten, that's Tiffany) entering the office. 

I smiled at my daughter. "The new Rose jewellery line is going to be out in a few days!" she exclaimed with joy. 

"I need to buy a few pieces I've already booked." she glowed with excitement and waited in anticipation. 

Oh, I needed to give her money. 

"Here." I handed her my card. "Enjoy." 

As she thanked me and turned around to leave, I stopped her, "Bambina," the she showed her displeasure at the nickname by furrowing her brows, "Take you sister along to buy whatever jewellery pieces she likes, no limit, FOR HER." I smiled at her and her eyes widened. 

"Okay? And your brothers will accompany you." she nodded and rushed out of my office.

My sons had a look of boredom plastered on their face. One look from me and they nodded.

That's when Roman entered and solemnly nodded at the information, not daring to disobey me. except Rocco, all my sons were here. And generally, he wouldn't miss out on such an opportunity.

The office phone rung loudly, snapping all of our attention towards it. 

It was rare for this one to ring. Only other mafias and specific consiglieri had contact to this. 

I nodded at Rocco who picked the phone and put it on speaker.

The voice that greeted me had me stupefied.

"Hello, old friend." 

hello my loves!

hello my loves!

hope u liked the chapter. 

you probably want to murder me for another cliffhanger. but i take pride, for a close friend titled me, 'queen of cliffhangers.' 

but, i couldn't resist myself writing another chapter because i was so invested in it, so here you go. it's a short one, but a fine one. 

love ya! 

~nya