20 | One Last Chance

In the bedchamber of Devereaux, the flickering flames in the fireplace painted the room with a warm, golden glow

In the bedchamber of Devereaux, the flickering flames in the fireplace painted the room with a warm, golden glow. The low light cast eerie silhouettes on the grey-painted walls, creating a play of shadows that seemed to dance with the crackling fire.

Ada, nestled in the embrace of Devereaux's cosy bed, gazed into the void with vacant eyes. The shadows, in their eerie dance, seemed to echo the chaos she bore within.

A profound emptiness echoed within her, a hollowness that seemed to stretch into the very core of her being. Every breath carried the weight of a weary soul, and the burden of existence weighed heavily upon her shoulders. Weakness, like tendrils of mist, coiled around her, sapping the strength from her limbs until she felt almost insubstantial.

Living had become a painful journey, a relentless struggle against the currents of despair that threatened to pull her under. The ache within her was not just physical but a visceral manifestation of the emotional torment she endured.

In a moment of desperate vulnerability, she had pleaded with the enigmatic Dark Lord, entertaining the idea that perhaps the embrace of death could offer solace where life had failed. The point of such desperation echoed with the depths of her suffering, a cry from the wounded soul she was, yearning for respite from the relentless pain of existence.

The memory lingered vividly in her mind, etched like a haunting tableau. His eyes, ablaze with a searing intensity, betrayed the storm of emotions within – rage, a forceful torrent that threatened to consume everything in its path had shone in his eyes as her plea reached his ears. She wasn't sure if it was directed at her or not; nothing was really clear to her anymore. Yet, beneath that tempest, she had noticed another emotion flickered, that left her puzzled.

The soft click of the door alerted Ada to the entrance of the Dark Lord, a silver tray cradled in his hand. A delicious aroma charged the slightly smoky and musky air in the chamber, and her eyes flickered towards him.

Slowly, he stepped towards the bed, the cushiony mattress dipping with his weight as he sat next to her, the tray balanced on his lap. Dressed in his usual ebony theme, a warm wool turtleneck paired with soft-looking pants, a small smile adorned his chiselled features, and she noticed the soft amber flicker in his eyes warmly directed at her.

"I thought you'd be hungry once you wake up, so I asked the kitchens to make you some food," he said.

Ada's attention drifted to the items on the tray. At its centre lay a Fluffy Omelette delicately infused with spiced peppers and onions, accompanied by a side of toast, looking delectably crunchy.

"This is Charred Hellfire Toast. It's made spicy. You like spicy, right?" His slender finger pointed at the egg and toast. Ada slowly moved her head in agreement as her eyes scanned the rest of the tray.

On the tray's periphery, a selection of Miniature Pastries beckoned with their flaky crusts that promised delicious molten centres. Skewers of grilled meat, vegetables, and fruits, expertly marinated in a spicy sauce, completed the ensemble. A vibrant, glowing beverage fizzed with small sparks.