16 | Bound By Blood • Part 1

The figure of the former heir of Romersai darted through the alley, darker than the shadows around her, draped in a cloak of scarlet that trailed behind her like a stain

The figure of the former heir of Romersai darted through the alley, darker than the shadows around her, draped in a cloak of scarlet that trailed behind her like a stain. She wore a veil obscuring her features, and the only sign of her movement was the sharp clang of her heels on the wet pavement. Three sets of a dozen stairs each down and she'd be on the South shore.

This part of Serenel was usually less populated, technically the back of a bustling metropolis. Only thugs, thieves, drunkards, and drug addicts would venture into this part. But tonight the shore seemed to be buzzing with the researchers and onlookers who were gathering here to witness the wonder of a castle that had manifested apparently out of thin air on the abandoned island beyond the sea.

Obviously they had no idea it had always been there, just their untrained eyes could not see it. Just like none of them see the three other people dressed in forest green cloaks much like hers except the colour, walking among them on the shores. From where she stood on the top stair she could not see those faces clearly, but the cloak suggested them to be of the Dagasha clan. It only made her night even more difficult. She had to avoid both Normies and those three Dagashas. The cloak would conceal her from Normies' naked eyes but she would need to pass the snakes with caution.

The Mountain of Life, or the Forest Mountain as her fellow Serenal folk called it, loomed ahead in her path. Her steps were steady and swift against the cold night breeze as she swiftly ascended the fleets, thanking the years of training at field learning how to swift as a shadow assassin. Finally she was at the shore, feet dipping in the white sand.

The full moon shone above the many crafts of different sizes sailing across the sea. Ada eavesdropped on conversations from the researchers on the shore, some communicating with those onboard, the small makeshift tents that had bloomed like mushrooms scattered across the shoreline, pulsing with artificial light.

Ada gazed from above her veil, noticing that no Normie was paying her any mind. The cloak was doing its intended job.

A few feet away from her, a Dagasha in his green cloak, however, seemed to have noticed her as he paused his talk to look over to her. The others, as if on cue, directed their gaze at her. They could not see beyond her veil, and even if they did, it was not like every Dagasha to ever exist knew her by her face. Though they most definitely knew her by her name and clan.

Without waiting long enough to attract unwanted attention, she swiftly bowed at them, hoping it would make her look like another official taking a field visit to see how bad the damage was caused by the misplaced Luna Pearl. And it luckily worked, as all three of them bowed back; their gaze still fixed on her, she swiftly walked over to the shoreline, frothy sea now kissing her thick black boots.

Standing there, it felt different without the resistance of the barrier. If it was there she would have to do a small Blood Ritual for the barrier to let her in, convincing the power within her wasn't harmful to anyone reside beyond. If it was there the scarlet walls of sanctum gleaming under the moonlight would not have attracted the Normies. Guilt washed over her swiftly than the seawater trying to soak the leather of her boots.