I tried to look nicer today, I even tied a bow in my plain brown hair with a pink ribbon, one of Mother's favourite colours. My little gold earrings and thin necklace were understated but cute. Mother paid no heed to it, or my efforts in the ring.

I longed to be wearing the pale blue academy graduate uniform like my sister. To be cooed at and praised by the heavens. But if I can't fly I can't join the academy. I don't know any other elytrians who can't fly. I was born with a wing deformity, and even the doctors barely understood it. Perfect well-off people like my parents didn't have children like me, it was implausible. They put a brace on my right wing to try and fix it, but it hasn't fixed anything.

But not being able to join the academy didn't stop me. I had to bring honour to my family, if I did maybe I would be accepted. In the eyes of elytrians, I was a disgrace, a smudge in my family's golden history. I homeschooled myself and learnt everything they taught at the academy. I should be graduating with Amélie, I should have an early graduate badge.

I watch as my sister stands tall and perfect as my mother dotes on her. I wish it was raining so Niki could visit. The creak of the back parlour door makes me swing on my stool. My father enters the room silently, his giant raven wings dragging on the floor behind him. He takes off his white and green striped hat and smiles at me adjusting his loose shirt. I look at him eagerly and sit taller hoping he'll talk to me and that Mother won't see him.

Father reaches my side and I stand from my seat and bow to him. I stand up straight again and he tucks a hair behind my ear. I nearly melt at the touch.

"Phil! Come here and congratulate your beautiful daughter," Mother's shrill voice makes me want to wince, but I know better. Father's eyes seem to glaze with love for my mother.

"Of course Juliana," he says smiling like a zombie and leaves me standing alone. I don't know why I bother feeling betrayed.

"Aster! Play the piano for your sister, she'll sing for us too," Mother sweeps down to her place on the couch once more and tucks one ankle behind the other. Father crosses his arms and remains standing keeping his eyes on Mother.

"Yes Mother," I mumble and sit back at the piano. Amélie stands next to me.

"Could you play Morning Sun?" her voice drips with honey. I want to scream, I hate that song. I nod and start to play the familiar tune.

My sister's diligently trained voice circles the room like a phantom. My eyes drift to the window again. I imagine the roots of the tree holding this corner of our house. Big and strong and larger than the marble pillars around the academy building. I drift farther and farther away from the room, my sister's voice and Mother's proud face.

I startle when I hit a wrong note, I had expected the memory in my hands to carry the tune. I look back at the keys desperately trying to work out where in the song I was up to. I try to compensate but the monotonous melody becomes discordant and horrible quickly.

"Stop! Stop!" Mother waves her arms around in the air and stands like a frustrated conductor. She looks at me with fire behind her eyes.

"Aster, stop ruining your sister's day! Look at how hard she's worked to get here! You do nothing but lounge around all day playing piano and reading and she's out there working to bring honour to our family. It's time you started doing something for this family you lazy, jealous girl!" Mother's lecture finishes with her gliding over and wrapping a protective arm around Amélie's shoulders whilst she scowls at me. Amélie's face is smug, and my father's face is blank.

I take a deep breath and stand to bow to my mother and sister, a habitual reaction. I bow low and keep my eyes respectfully on the floor.

"I'm deeply sorry Mother if you'll excuse my rudeness."