11 | Hansel and Gretel

Start from the beginning

Raina's attention perked at the sight of Emma Addington in her yellow pinafore styled tutu as she held a small basket in her arms. The other girls had been dressed in similar outfits but they lacked the scarf wrapped around Emma Addington's head.

Raina pulled Ethan Addington closer so he could see his sister and a wide grin immediately spread out on his face as he watched them all take their positions. Emma Addington failed as she tried to hide the disappointed look that crossed her face as her eyes settled on Ethan and Raina. Roux was absent, as always.

Nevertheless, a smile spread out on her face as she hooked her hand onto the little boy's elbow. At least Raina McCoy and her brother showed up. Usually, Barbara Emsworth would be the one present with Ethan Addington but today, someone else was interested in seeing her dance.

Begrudgingly, Emma Addington tore her eyes away from Ethan and Raina stayed focused. Just then, a dramatical music plays through the speakers, filling the ears of the audience and performers. They were to dance a classical ballet dance, summarizing the story of Hansel and Gretel and Emma Addington being the best female dancer, was given the role of Gretel.

The audience watched as the children danced in silence. Everyone on stage was smiling but Emma Addington. The fake trees in the background gave off the scene of a forest as the children danced around it.

Raina watched in awe at the girl's movements. The children performed the dance, doing well to give off the message behind it, our deepest fears. In no time, a voice fills the theatre, professionally reading out the lines word for word and describing the scene.

‘There was a great famine in the country and the woodcutter's family was starving’. A bunch of children fell on their knees and rubbed on their bellies in a dramatical manner. Some of the audience chuckled at the act.

‘His wife suggests to take their kids who are his and his late first wife's children, into the woods, so they would have two hungry mouths less to feed’. The children got up and danced after them deeper into the forest, Hansel throwing little crumbs of bread from his basket to the stage floors.

‘Hansel and Gretel heard about the plan and returned home thanks to the stones Hansel was using to mark the path’. Emma Addington and the little boy look around and perform a spin with him dipping her in the end.

Midway through the play, the door of the theatre opens and it suddenly falls into a tense silence. Albeit, not halting the performance. Only when Ethan Addington had squealed and lifted his arms to be picked by someone did Raina turn and her eyes widened at the sight of Roux Addington who sat besides her silently. Placing Ethan on his lap, Roux placed a kiss on the crown of his head and looked ahead at his daughter as she danced.

Once Emma Addington was placed on her feet from he spin, her eyes locked with Rouxs' and they widened in surprise. Slowly, a smile finally formed on her face and she looked away, taking the boy's awaiting hand. This time around, she danced even better due to her father's presence.

" Thank you " Raina spoke first, casting Roux a glance who did not bother to spare her one in return. Her words earlier has eaten him up till the point he had to postpone his meeting.

" I did not come here for you, Missus McCoy " Roux spoke through gritted teeth, trying to speak lowly in order not to attract attention from the boy in his arms.

" But still. Thank you, Mister Addington " Raina said honestly before turning back to the play.

‘At the next attempt, Hansel could not load his pocket with stones because the doors were locked. Instead of stones he had used bread crumbs, but they had been eaten by the birds, so the woodcutter and his wife succeeded and children were lost in the woods’