7 | Cream of hearts

Start from the beginning

Snapping out of her daze, Raina's throat instantly felt parched once again, realizing that all his attention was now directed at her. For some reason, she felt it would have been better to state her reason for coming to see him while he was still on a call.

" Is there a problem, Missus McCoy? May I ask why you are here? " A perfectly arched brow shot up in questioning and suddenly, Raina did not feel so confident anymore.

The man was intimidating without even having to do anything and that was not just an effect which put females on their toes around him.

" Uh, well. W-what language were you speaking? " Raina spluttered and mentally facepalmed at her silliness. She had settled for the first sentence that had come to her head.

Roux Addington frowned slightly at the question, his head tilting to the side causing his curls to fall against his temples. The woman before him was weird —different— but despite that, he had no time to waste.

" I believe you did not come all that way to ask me about my vocabulary " He straightened the cuffs of his dress shirt with a bored look, walking back to his desk to pour himself another glass of water.

" You are right. S-sorry " Raina shut her eyes and took in a deep breath before opening them again, her eyes instantly locking with Rouxs' as he swiped his tongue against his perfectly straight teeth.

" Well uh, I actually came to tell you that I have been quite bored these days since I have nothing doing " Raina admitted as she fiddled with her soft fingers, looking down at them instead with sudden interest.

" Bored? "

" Y-yes sir "

The was a moment of silence as Roux brought the glass to his lips, taking a sip of his water before placing it down, " I am a businessman, Missus McCoy. Not an entertainer "

Raina's gaze snapped away from her fingers to stare at him, her mouth parted in speechlessness for a second, " I know that sir, but I am hinting on my lack of a job "

" Based on your information, you do not have a degree. Educate me on the sudden appearance of one " Roux replied, his tone laced with a hint of mockery.

" I was a pâtissier "

" You are a mother now. You obviously do not expect me to send you back to work in a dump? "

" It was not a– " Raina pinched the bridge of her nose with her eyes shut in annoyance before opening them once again and matching his gaze, " I need to have something doing when Ethan and Emma are at school "

A small smirk was etched to Roux Addington's lips for a second before he let out a hum and pushed himself off the edge of his desk, taking slow steps towards Raina before stopping before her, his musky scent flooding into her senses.

The smaller woman had to crane her neck to stare at him, her head stopped just below his chest. Nevertheless, she was determined. She knew Roux Addington was accessing her, looking for any waver to make her back down but she would not.

She was never an easy quitter.

" Since you are so determined to have something doing to burn time, why don't you go make me a cup of coffee and then when you return, I will have you sort through some files. Meet your demands? "

Raina was taken aback by his response but collected herself. She had not expected him to agree so easily but nevertheless, she was content.

" It will do. How do you take your afternoon coffee? "

" Dark Roast. No sugar " Roux Addington replied over his shoulder, his long legs taking him back towards his desk.

" Fitting " Raina mumbled underneath her breath with no intentions of Roux Addington grabbing on to her words, but the man did. Albeit, he stayed silent and watched as she turned to walk away.