20. Rebellious Teen

Start from the beginning

"I already promised!" I shouted after him.

He glanced over his shoulder. "I have given everything to you, and this is how you thank me? You'd end up working as a cashier at a gas station without me."

I snapped my mouth shut and just glared at him. I'd only make things worse if I tried to argue back.

"Tomorrow. After school. Do not be late," he said and continued his way down.

I stared after him in anger and frustration. I had already promised to visit the mall with Jax. He agreed to buy the skirt, for crying out loud! If I didn't go with him now, he'd never buy it!

I entered my room, feeling even more sick now, and did my best not to slam the door shut. I sat down on my bed and buried my face behind my hands. I tried to take deep breaths, but that never helped, my chest was so tight.

The minutes passed as I sat there, trying to calm down. I just wanted to breathe. It was bad enough that Dad was forcing me to skip the day with Jax tomorrow, but the way he said 'sleeping problems'... Like I was faking it. Like I was doing it on purpose. Like I wasn't spending my nights hyperventilating and feeling like I was about to die.

"Breathe..."

"I am breathing..." I whispered.

"Just breathe, okay? Deep, slow breaths."

I let Jax's words take over. I forced myself to remember his touch, his expression, his voice, and every little word he'd spoken to me.

"Everything is just fine. Just take deep breaths for me, okay? We're all right."

I played those words over and over again until I was finally able to lower my hands down. Even then, I kept my eyes closed and focused on the image of him, still taking slow breaths. Once I was calm enough, I went to lock my door, took off my clothes and crawled into my bed. As I curled up under the covers, I still heard Jax's voice.

And I tightly held onto it through the night.

*****

I didn't get much sleep, so I stayed in bed longer than usual, and got up when I had only minutes left before I had to leave for school. I felt and looked like shit when I saw myself in the mirror. I had no time to shower or even eat, but I didn't care. At least this way, I didn't need to take the risk of running into my dad. Thankfully, he wasn't home when I stepped out of my room.

I slipped outside before anyone could spot me and hurried to my car. I picked up Jessica, who kept giving me worried glances and tried to ask if I was all right while I drove us to school. I told her I was fine. She didn't believe me.

Jax was already waiting for me by the entrance when I parked the car, so after we got out, I ditched Jessica and made my way to him.

"Rough night?" he asked quietly, and the sympathy in his voice nearly broke me.

"Yeah," I said and looked down so he wouldn't see how fast I was blinking to keep my eyes dry.

I felt his hand on my arm, but I didn't look at him.

"Do you want to go somewhere private?" he asked.

"Sure..."

He started walking, so I followed him, still keeping my eyes on the ground. We walked around the building, and he stopped when I couldn't hear noises anywhere near us. He turned around, his toes stopped right in front of mine, and he wrapped his arms around my shoulders. I rested my head on his and hugged him, but I no longer had to fight to stay calm. I calmed down the second I was left alone with him.