He wondered where she was going with this speech...

Crusch: However, I cannot promise you all that.

The nobles in the crowd seemed surprised by the words she spoke. They most likely assumed that she'd be the canditate that was the most similar to the old Royal family.

Crusch: The dragon kingdom Lugunica. The country has grown and prospered under the protection of the dragon's covenant. I acknowledge the prosperity that we've had thanks to the dragon, the dragon will help us in our time of need....Which is why I ask of you...

She waited for a moment before loudly proclaiming...

Crusch: Do you have no shame?!

One of the old "wise men" spoke up.

Sage: You're overstepping your bounds, Crusch-sama! It's unforgivable to make light of the covenant. Are you denying the kingdom's history?

She gave him a small glance as she spoke.

Crusch: I'm sure I mentioned that I acknowledged our past prosperity. The Karsten house has benefited from it after all.

She then turned to look back at the crowd.

Crusch: However...The future is a different story!

Honestly, Pleiades was actually interested in the reason that she's even saying this. She must have a pretty good reason to disrespect a covenant that has helped Lugunica for centuries.

Crusch: This country has become too dependent on the covenant and has subsequently become weak! Can you say that we are prepared for the events that the dragon history stone makes no mention of? Dependence gives birth to stagnation, and stagnation brings about corruption...Corrupption eventually brings about destruction. That's how I see it!

That's all well and good, but these problems can easily be solved by a good leader who won't fall into corruption. So, what point is she trying to make?

Crusch: If we die out without the dragon...We should become the dragon ourselves! When I become king, I will make sure the dragon forgets about the covenant! Lugunica isn't the dragon's possesion! It is ours!

....No way...

Crusch: There will definitely be hardships. However, I would like to live my life the way I would like to, and if possible I would like the kingdom to do the same! That's all.

The crowd looked around nervously after the speech. They weren't sure what to think of this. And Pleiades understood exactly why, even if no one else here truly recognizes why.

Because it was stupid, ridiculous and completely brain dead. "Life the way I would like to"? You can already do that, Pleiades read about the covenant. The dragon only takes action againt a foreign threat, so that point is conpletely pointless.

And the kingdom isn't the dragon's possesion. It doesn't interfere with any internal politics except the Royal Selection. There is not a single reason as to why the kingdom should lose a guardian like the dragon. Sure, the stagnation part is true, but as long as the leader is smart enough, they'd be able to solve such an issue.

Pleiades knew exactly why she was saying all this, he was great at reading people when they speak. And she spoke quite passionately about her goal.

The reason she was doing this was completely personal, selfish even. He didn't know why, but this wasn't about the kingdom, even if she deluded herself into thinking that way. He knew that it was less about the country and more about her own personal feelings. The worst kind of leader.

He smiled to himself as his rival has just offended every single person that worships the dragon. Sure, her status as a Karsten achievements are helpfull for her, but she has already lost a lot of support in a single speech.