She's Gone

With a heavy sigh, he inserted the keys into the locking, knowing once he opened this door there was no going back. The truth was...he did something terrible. He fell in love with someone that wasn't his wife. Maybe it was him seeking out something different or exciting but that was just an excuse. He could come up with a million of them but none were justifiable.

His life with his wife had gotten a little stagnant. Each day blurred into the next. He started working more and coming home late, hoping that drowning himself in work would help the endless days pass by faster. He hung out with his friends and picked up more hobbies. Anything to reduce the amount of time he had to spend at home.

He knew that was messed up. He should've maybe let her go so they could both find happiness apart from each other but he couldn't. The thought of divorcing her scared him. He loved her, he truly did. He let out a dry laugh, feeling really pathetic in that moment. He took a deep breath and unlocked the door.

"Y/N?" He called out, an empty hallway greeted him but he did not fail to notice the items thrown about haphazardly. As if she had been interrupted. His heart started for a reason he did not understand. Did something happen? He continued to walk throughout the house until he reached the bedroom.

All of the drawers were open and revealed that some of her belongings were gone. He stepped closer into the room, refusing to accept the truth before his very eyes. Isn't this what he wanted? What he complained about every single day? What right did he have to feel this way? He glanced around the room once more until he noticed an item on the nightstand.

Her ring.

Sitting there, abandoned like she's never even worn it, was the ring he placed on her finger on their wedding day. She was gone. He thought he would feel relieved but he felt horrible. He felt ill. He sunk down to his knees, the plush carpet cushioning his fall.

What had he done?