Chapter 1: The Return Home

Joaquin Belladonna walked off the airship and onto the platform of Menagerie's port. The warm air and familiar scents of home hit him like a wave, and he breathed in deeply, feeling the tension in his shoulders begin to ease. He had spent the last few years at Beacon Academy, honing his skills as a Huntsman and fighting alongside his team to protect the people of Remnant. But now he was back in Menagerie, and he was ready to face whatever challenges lay ahead.

Joaquin looked around the bustling port, taking in the sights and sounds of the town he had grown up in. He saw Faunus of all kinds, going about their daily business - merchants selling their wares, workers unloading cargo from ships, and families out for a stroll in the warm sun. Menagerie was a peaceful place, a haven for Faunus who had faced discrimination and persecution elsewhere in Remnant. Joaquin was proud to call it his home.

He made his way through the streets, greeting people he knew and stopping to chat with old friends. He felt a sense of comfort and belonging here that he had never quite found at Beacon Academy. As he walked, he saw the familiar shape of his family's house up ahead, and he quickened his pace.

Joaquin knocked on the door, and after a moment, it opened to reveal his mother, Kali. She smiled broadly when she saw him and embraced him warmly.

"Joaquin, my son! You're home!"

"It's good to be back, Mom," he said, returning her hug. "Is Dad here?"

Kali's smile faded slightly. "He's out right now, but he'll be back soon. Come in, come in. I'll make you some tea."

Joaquin followed his mother into the cozy living room, taking a seat on the couch as she bustled around the kitchen. He looked around at the familiar decor - the paintings his sister had done, the photos of their family, the cozy armchairs where they used to curl up and read together.

It felt strange to be back here after all this time. Joaquin had left Menagerie with a sense of purpose, eager to make a difference in the world. But now that he was home, he wasn't quite sure what to do next. He knew that his father, Ghira, was still a respected leader in the faunus community, but he didn't know what role he could play in that.

Kali returned with a tray of tea and biscuits, setting it down on the coffee table in front of him. 

Kali smiled. "That's good to hear. Your father will be proud of you, Joaquin."

At the mention of his father, Joaquin felt a pang of anxiety. He knew that his father was proud of him, but he also knew that their relationship was strained. Ghira had been a leader of the White Fang before he stepped down, and Joaquin had seen firsthand how the organization had become more violent and extreme under new leadership. He had left the White Fang behind, but he knew that his father still had ties to the group.

As if on cue, the door opened and Ghira walked in, his massive frame filling the doorway. Joaquin stood up from his seat, feeling a mix of emotions wash over him. He was happy to see his father again, but he also couldn't help feeling a bit nervous.

"Joaquin, my son," Ghira said, his voice deep and rumbling. "It's good to have you home."

Joaquin stepped forward to embrace his father, feeling a sense of relief as Ghira wrapped his arms around him in a tight hug. They held each other for a moment before stepping back, and Joaquin noticed the concern in his father's eyes.

"You look worried, son," Ghira said. "What's on your mind?"

Joaquin took a deep breath, steeling himself for what he knew would be a difficult conversation.

"Dad, I've been away at Beacon Academy for the past few years, and I've seen a lot of things. I've fought Grimm, and I've seen how dangerous they can be. But I've also seen the damage that the White Fang can do."

Ghira's expression grew serious, and Joaquin could see the tension in his muscles as he braced himself for what Joaquin was about to say.

"I know that you used to be the leader of the White Fang, and I respect the work you did to protect our people. But things have changed, Dad. The White Fang has become more violent and extreme, and I can't stand by and watch them hurt innocent people."

Ghira's eyes narrowed, and Joaquin braced himself for a backlash. But to his surprise, his father's expression softened.

"I understand your concerns, Joaquin," Ghira said. "And I'm proud of you for standing up for what you believe in. The White Fang was never meant to be a tool for violence and hate. I stepped down because I could see where things were headed, and I couldn't be a part of it anymore."

Joaquin felt a weight lift off his shoulders as he realized that his father was on his side. They talked for a while longer, catching up on each other's lives and sharing stories about the things they had seen and experienced. Joaquin knew that there were still challenges ahead, but for now, he was content to be home with his family.