"You heard the man," Jane shook her head and turned to Chimney.

It was her job to double check that they were all properly geared up before they left the truck and to follow along to pick up any slack behind them. It wasn't a glamorous job, but it came in handy last month when Chimney was so focused on the fire, he forgot the hose! Fortunately, that wasn't the case, and Jane gave him a thumbs up, before she moved on to Hen, Eddie, Stephens, and Ray, giving them each the all clear to go on ahead. Then she followed them with an axe. Even though they would (hopefully) not need it, they would in a real fire so it had to come with them.

"If this is a fake fire, why can't we carry a fake hose!" Chimney ranted as the crew made their way passed all of the office workers who were being evacuated and towards the stairwell. Then, just ahead they spotted Buck in a white Marshall's shirt sporting that villainous clipboard. "Hey! Buck! How we doin'?"

"You don't want to know!" he called back. Jane sighed loudly and just hustled farther ahead.

Then, just as Jane had convinced herself that they might be able to make up for lost time, out of the doorway tumbled a large group of people and from the yelling that echoed out of that stairwell...Jane was pretty sure that it was a dominos going down type situation. One that likely resulted in many, many injuries.

"I'm not looking forward to this paperwork," Jane groaned aloud, unable to help herself.

"Neither am I," Hen sighed. "Let's get started!"

................

Eight hours, and A LOT of paperwork later, the 118 were off shift, and Jane was anxiously pacing her bedroom in a towel. That night was going to be it. Their first date. Just the thought made her heart race faster and she already thought she was at risk for going into cardiac arrest. She'd showered and done her hair. Opting, this time, for a braid. While this was her usual style, unlike how she did it for work, she'd kept it loose, swept to one side, and with a few artfully errant curled strands left out.

After consulting the internet, Jane had spent a solid hour applying makeup to ensure that it didn't look like she'd applied make-up. She'd opted for a neutral color pallet of pale pinks and light browns around her eyes that evened out any weird tan lines on her face from work. It was when Felix, irritated that she'd invaded his bathroom, had knocked her favorite tube of lip-gloss down the sink drain that it began to hit her that she was about to go on a date. With Eddie. A date with Eddie.

Cue the hyperventilation. Her hands were sweating, and she had to actively remind herself that there was no reason for her to freak out. None at all. She'd been out on plenty of dates and she'd never been this nervous. But...those men had never been Eddie.

At least this time she wasn't panicking about what to wear. She'd gone out with Farrah and Leah, and they'd helped her choose a dress.

That day had been lots of fun, and Jane almost calmed down at the memory. They'd gone to brunch first and both Leah and Farrah were forcing Jane to blush through the retelling of Eddie kissing her at the field hospital. Then they demanded a play-by-play of the days after where they'd been hanging all over each other. Holding hands and hugging and cuddling and just being so touchy-feely when they weren't on shift that it made their friends nuts. Both women had also demanded to see pictures of the bouquet of flowers that Eddie had given her when he'd asked her on their first proper date.

Then they'd gone shopping. Jane had been dragged into about twelve different stores and tried on upwards of forty dresses and outfits. Eddie had said that what they were doing was a surprise but that she should wear whatever she wanted as long as she was comfortable. Jane, the person who'd bought multiple pairs of her favorite sweatpants, had decided that she was going to wear a dress. She hardly ever had an excuse to dress up, and she was going to take it. That being said, the dress had to be comfortable.