Dosed

"I really feel like I should be helping you guys move her in. After all, you lot are doing this for me next week." Jane told her friends anxiously as they forced her into the overstuffed chair that they'd brought into Maddie's new apartment. She was certain they'd brought the chair in first, so she'd have someplace to sit and not try to help them carry furniture.

At her words, Buck and Eddie gave her a chastising look. "You had your ribs broken," Buck started on her.

"And you were deprived of oxygen and your throat was literally crushed," Eddie was looking at her like she was crazy. "Let us get it."

"Better yet," Chimney moved in front of the guys and glared down at her with his best menacing stare...which wasn't very convincing, but he did try. "Your heart stopped. Twice. Forgive us for wanting you to rest while you can." 

"I'm sorry," she told them. "I just feel like I'm in the way. No, I don't just feel it. I am in the way, so I really don't understand why I'm here other than to eat your pizza and hang out."

"Exactly," Maddie came up behind them. "These lugs are eating my pizza and have to pay for it with physical labor. I like you better so your pizza is free. Now, here is my Wi-Fi password and let me know when you want an opinion on furniture." The only thing she was allowed to do is sit in the chair and search online for furniture while joining in the banter. After all, Jane's coffee table had been destroyed and there was no way that she could ever sit on that couch again. New furniture. New apartment. New start. Again. 

Jane smiled at the woman as she handed her a slip of paper. Then she watched, barely containing her laughter as Maddie directed the boys on where they needed to travel in order to pick up the big pieces of furniture she'd purchased and then lent Chimney a ladder so he could climb up and start installing her security system. He'd agreed to do it for Maddie when Buck had mentioned it, since he had already voluntold Jane that he'd be doing the same thing in her new apartment when she moved.

"It hardly seems fair that I can't help this week and next weekend you all are doing the heavy lifting again and you're basically going to help me move my entire life in a day."

"Hey," Eddie looked down at her steadily on his way out the door, emitting that calm and in control aura that Jane had come to understand in the last few weeks was simply Eddie. "Don't worry about it. Two weeks of pizza and beer are hardly something to complain about. Besides, it's Maddie's apartment. She's the boss."

"Could have fooled me, Mr. Bossy," Jane retorted. "You know I'm better."

"You are getting better," he corrected, "But Carla warned me that you'd try to overdo it. I'm not about to let you hurt yourself again when it could have been avoided by resting."

Jane wasn't allowed to go to work for weeks, and she'd gotten bored byherself. So it happened that her limited outings had included going to Eddie'shouse and hanging out with Carla and Christopher.  She was positive one of the reasons she was invited over was so that Carla could not-so-sneakily check up on her and tell her friends if she was recovering well and if there was anything else that she needed or if they should take her back to a doctor. Jane tolerated that because she absolutely loved Christopher and Carla. The ever-sarcastic boy had quickly burrowed his way into Jane's heart, and she had earned a place in his. They made cookies together and played video games and shared stories. When the boy had said that Jane was one of his best friends, the blonde had cried. She was so happy that she handed him her bag of Ruffles, which she was positive was his aim in buttering her up, but she didn't care. Carla was warm and each activity they did was made all the more fun for her blunt humor and understanding spirit.