Fight or Flight

"What do you mean, it's Chimney?" For some reason, Jane's hands had begun to shake uncontrollably. She forced herself to breath and connected the phone to her car's Bluetooth so she could take a drink of water. She needed to do something with her hands.

"I mean that Hen just called me," Eddie explained. "Chimney is in the hospital, he was stabbed. Buck found him and Maddie is missing! I'm heading to the hospital now. I'm going to take Chris over to Pepa's for now, but Shannon is going to come watch him tomorrow because she has to go into work."

"Good, good," Jane nodded. She stuck her keys in the ignition and put one hand on the steering wheel and the other on the gear shift, "I'll drive over to the hospital now and meet you all there. Which one?"

"County General."

"I'll be there in fifteen," Jane said once she calculated how far of a drive that would be. It was fairly close to her dad's house. "I'll meet you and Hen there. Drive safe Eddie."

"You too," he said softly, before hanging up.

Jane's hands were trembling, and she was worried, but she forced herself to concentrate as she pulled out of her father's driveway. It had been a long day, and it didn't seem as if the day was going to end anytime soon. She drove cautiously, focusing on the road and not on the fact that one of her best friends was in the hospital, possibly dying. She ignored that Maddie was missing, which indicated to Jane that Maddie's psychotic abusive ex-husband probably came back to get her and Chimney.

Jane ignored it all and focused on her breathing before it occurred to her that she needed to call Farrah. When she came to a stoplight, she very deliberately pressed a few buttons until a dial tone echoed in the vehicle.

"Hey pretty lady!" Farrah greeted with her usual enthusiasm. "How did it go? Are you alright?"

"Farrah, something's happened to Chimney, so I need you to stop by my apartment and check on Felix. I'm...I'm unsure how long I'll be gone so I might need you to do it tomorrow too."

"What happened to Chimney?"

"He was attacked! Buck found him and it didn't sound good. I'm going to the hospital now."

"What?! No! Absolutely! No problem," Farrah said, after her initial shock she automatically went into her nurse voice, a soothing one that matched that warm husky quality she naturally had. "I'll take care of Felix. You just take care of yourself so you can help Chimney, alright? And after it turns out that he is alright, we need to have a lunch date and talk about everything, because woman, I feel like your life never stops."

"Yeah," Jane agreed, "I'm with you there. Thanks Farrah. You are the best."

"I know," she said lightly. "Take care. Don't worry about Felix. Karram and I will just bring him up to ours and binge sitcoms with the little guy."

"He'll like that," she laughed. "Thank you again. Bye," and she hung up the phone just as she was pulling into the hospital parking lot. Ironically enough, she spotted Eddie just as she was getting out of the car, and she waved to him. He slowed his fast clip and allowed her to catch up.

"Hey! How's Christopher?" she asked. "He doing okay with this?"

"Yeah. I told him I needed to go because Chimney was in the hospital, but I didn't tell him the details. He could tell something bad had happened though. I'm not good at keeping my face blank when I'm on the phone apparently, and kids, you know they sense things."

"They are smart, and unfortunately for you, your son is particularly acute."

"He is at that. But, how are you doing?" he asked as they reached the doors.