55 • Swallow your pride • 55

Start from the beginning

"Sebastian, Harry? Why don't you take Charlotte inside and make sure she's okay?" Peter said.

I felt myself being guided towards the front door. Their voices faded out as we got inside the house, following Sebastian's lead. I felt a warm settling feeling come over me as I stepped foot inside my home. Never had it felt this good to be home.

"Let's get you upstairs, yeah?" Harry said to me.

I nodded and we headed towards the stairs. I frowned when they came into view. My leg still hurt. Going upstairs was going to be a lot more painful than I first thought.

"Can you manage it?" Sebastian asked me, noticing the probable look of discontent on my face.

"I'm fine." I replied, shifting slightly so I was applying less of my weight onto Harry.

Sebastian raised his eyes at me. "I'm not convinced."

I rolled my eyes. "The doctors did a good job. Meds work. The stitchings perfect. I'm fine."

"Boys help her up the stairs would you? She shouldn't be doing anything strenuous right now." I heard my Mom's voice interrupt from behind us. "Charlotte, you've got to learn to ask for help when you need it."

I scowled at my Mom, but didn't turn around so my irritation was missed. Before I could say anything in response, I felt both my arms being slung around something.  I realised I was now fully being supported by Sebastian and Harry. They had slung each of my arms around their shoulders.

"This is completely unnecessary." I huffed.

"Shut up, would you." Harry smirked down at me. "Let us do what's best for you."

"Did you know that's what doctors do for patients when they lack capacity?" I said. "Decisions are made in patients bests interests. Yet, when they have capacity their decisions are usually respected. I have capacity so my decisions should technically be respected."

"Well, technically we don't give a fuck."  Harry told me and then shook his head in disbelief. "How does a girl surviving a car accident find the energy for a long-winded response like that?"

"A stubborn one." My Mom muttered from behind us.

I could just imagine her watching us from behind with her arms folded, making sure her orders were being followed.

"I'm fine." I growled, irritated, but I felt myself being guided up the stairs.

I grimaced slightly when we climbed up the first couple of stairs. The first few steps sent a slight pain up and down my injured leg.

"Is this where we tell you we told you so?" Sebastian questioned, looking down at me in self-satisfied manor.

"What's wrong, is she okay?" My Mom asked.

"Yes, I'm okay." I said, through gritted teeth. "Let's get this over with."

"You sure you don't have any other clever arguments up your sleeve?" Sebastian asked, almost amused at me.

I rolled my eyes. "You win, okay?"

Harry scoffed. "We didn't just win, charl. We yet again proved your stubbornness isn't doing you any good."

I sighed, I was very much aware my stubbornness hadn't done me any good at all. But right now it was more my pride that was driving me to reject any help.

"I know." I sighed.

"Would you look at that, Sebastian. Looks like we may have actually gotten through to her." Harry marvelled as we slowly made our way up a couple more steps.