Try - Chapter 7

"Eponine wake up please!" I hear Enjolras yelling at me to wake up. It's been 2 months and still can't quite grasp the concept that Gavroche had died. Nightmares had been haunting me every night since it happened and Enjolras couldn't take me screaming my head off in another room.

******

I heard the footsteps coming down the hall one night, the wind and rain making more noise then usual and my door creaks open.

"Eponine what's the matter? You've been screaming all night for the past week, tell me," He asks, sitting down on my bed, and cradling me to his chest.

"I have nightmares, every night about it,"

"About what?" He murmurs against the top of my head, smoothing my hair against my neck with his hand,

"The barricade, you, Gavro-" I choke on his name, but Enjolras understands what I'm trying to say,

"They're just dreams,"

"But they seem so real,"

"But they're not,"

I nod my head, nuzzling into his chest, "Why don't you come and sleep in my room?" He asks, pressing his lips against my forehead,

I nod my head as he shifts me off him, "I would carry you, but I can't," He smiles, wrapping his 'good' arm around my waist and guiding me to his room. If anyone found out about us, sleeping in the same room before marriage wouldn't help my already terrible reputation, let alone his reasonably good one.

"Maybe it will help you sleep better,"

"Doubt it," I mutter, climbing into his bed next to him and cuddling up closer to him. My head on his chest and my arm wrapped across his stomach, just like the first night I got to see Enjolras after the battle.

******

"I'm sorry," I say, wiping my eyes from crying in my sleep, "I don't mean to wake you every night,"

"I don't care that you wake me, just that you're still so upset! It's been two months 'Ponine, is it still the same nightmares?"

"Generally," I mumble, playing with the third button on his nightshirt.

"You just need to let him go and move on with your life,"

"I can't just let him go,"

"I know, but you have to try,"

I can't answer him. I know he's right. I was telling the same thing to him that first night. That he needs to let go and move on because that was the only thing that would help it.

"I will,"

"Good," He says, and I can tell he is smiling even though it's darker then the nights sky in this room, "Now go back to sleep,"

____________________

"Good morning love," He smiles at me, embracing me and presses his lips to mine softly and sweetly.

Love? He's never called me love. Ever. What's going on? Why is he so cheery this morning?

"Good morning," I say, his smile contagious, "What's going on?"

"What do you mean?"

"You! You're so cheery, not like the normal Enjolras," I chuckle, "But I like it better,"

"You'll find out later,"

"Later?" I whine, as he turns and walks towards the kitchen,

"Yes later,"

"Please tell me now,"

"Alright, you and I are going out to lunch,"

"That's why you're so happy?"

"Half the reason,"

I nod, folding my arms across my chest, "Something is going on here and I will find out,"

"You will," He smiles and nods, "Wear something nice as well, one of your new dresses,"

"They're hardly new,"

"No, go check in your cupboard,"

"Enjolras," I mutter, shaking my head, "You didn't buy me more dresses did you?"

He flashes a breathtaking smile and motions to my room, to which I slowly turn around and walk back to my room, occasionally looking back to Enjolras, him facing me with the same smile.

I push the door open and walk straight to the cupboard, pulling it open violently, to reveal no new dresses. What? "Enjolras!"

"Yes?"

"There's nothing new here,"

"Turn around,"

I turn around and look at my old bed, holding a beautiful, red dress with black detailing on it, "This isn't for me," I deny as he smiles and nods,

"It is,"

"This would have cost more than the others combined! Stop spending all of your money on me,"

"You're worth it,"

"Thank you," I smile, looking up to him as he walks closer and closer, winding his arms around my waist,

"My pleasure, so wear this one to lunch,"

"It's a bit extravagent for lunch,"

"No it's not," He smiles, "Not for this one,"