Oblivious - Chapter 2

"I will see you tonight," I smile as I walk through the door, leaving to go to the horrid docks,

"Eponine!" He calls from the door, and he waves me back,

"I have to go," I laugh as I run back into his arms and tuck my head into his chest, "I love you,"

"As do I,"

I go to move out of his embrace, his iron grip doesn't let go, "Enjolras," I chuckle, squirming in his hug, "I need to go and get ready,"

He finally lets go and allows me to carry on back to the docks.

"Ah! Eponine! So glad you decided to show up," Madame Madeline scolds as I run into the docks just in time,

"I'm sorry Madame, someone needed to see me before I left,"

I pick up all of my clothes that I use, a grass green corset, a yellow skirt which falls halfway down in between my ankle and knee, and a white blouse which hasn't been washed for god only knows how long. "Madame?" I ask, holding the strings of my corset, "Can you help me?"

She doesn't reply in words, she just pulls on the strings as hard as she can until I can no longer breath with ease, hardly breath at all for that matter. "Are you ready now? Customers are waiting!" She scowls, walking out of the room while I apply what little makeup I wear, onto my face.

The walk outside is almost like a walk of shame. I cant stop thinking about Enjolras and what would happen to his reputation if people found out he was dating me, who is forced to be a prostitute just so her dad can earn a bit of extra money.

"Welcome Monsieur, who would be your choice of this day?" Madame Madeline asks, battering her eyelashes at the man with his cap pulled over his face. He speaks lowly and quietly, as if he does not want us to hear.

"Eponine! This gentleman wants you for the day, be sure to be kind and you know what to do," She hisses the last part to me.

This gentleman. Right, I could think of a few other words to call him rather than a gentleman. "Right this way Monsieur," I say, trying to get the 'I-want-to-be-anywhere-but-here' tone out of my voice, "I suppose that you don't want to waste any time?" I ask, my arms sliding around his neck which is the same height as Enjolras'.

He still hasn't taken his hat off and I still dont know what he looks like.

"Can we at least get this hat off you-" As I speak he lifts the hat and I'm shocked to the bone. "ENJOLRAS!" I squeal, but he hushes me. I jump into his arms, which makes me pant as if I'd run around Paris twenty times. He lifts me off the ground and spins me around, "I wasn't going to let some dirty man come around and do that to you,"

Tears of joy flood my eyes and he sets me down on the bed and sits next to me, "So I have you until you finish for the day,"

"That would have cost you a fortune!" I say out of breath. His arms wrap around me and I have no idea what he is doing until a gasp escapes my lips and I can breath easier again.

"Having that done up so tight, isn't good for you,"

"What did you-" I pull on the string that has been untied and realize he undid my corset, "I didn't do it up, you have to have someone else do it up and Madame Madeline does it up excruciatingly tight, so we look our best. You realize we can't leave here? What happened to going to the cafe?"

"We can try to leave... And I told them that I wasn't feeling 100% and that the meeting was cancelled,"

"Madame will notice I'm gone, and then they'll tell my dad,"

"Avoid your dad, live with me. I can take care of you,"

"And what about here?"

"I can buy you every day-"

"You know you can buy me forever, it has been done before. But it is a lot of money-"

"I can?" He asks and I nod,

"Madame won't let you get away with me cheaply even though I'm not much to lose anyhow,"

"You know that I don't care about the money,"

"What if this doesn't work out though?" I ask, motioning between us.

"What?"

"You and I,"

He nods, "You still don't have to go back to this and you can have your freedom,"

I throw myself into his arms again and take in his scent. "No-one has ever done this for me,"

"I still don't know how Marius was oblivious,"

I shrug, relaxing into his arms as he mentions Marius' name. Before I would of tensed up, "I don't know how I was so oblivious to you, when you were there this whole time,"

"You kept me waiting,"

"You did not seem like the type of person to love another,"

"You did not seem like someone I would fall in love with," He says looking down, his words tugging on a heart string, "But I was wrong,"