Chapter 19

Robyn rubbed her hands together and tried to breathe some warmth into them. Cold didn’t even begin to describe it. They were trying to freeze her and Tanner to death in here.

They had woken up together in the stingy holding cell with a plate of stale bread and a flask of water. Everything smelt like mildew and the wall were damp enough to quench any thirst if they should become desperate enough.

Tanner was sitting directly across from her - also not leaning against the cold wall. He too didn’t want to die of pneumonia. He had resigned himself to muttering plans under his breath and making the usual “I’ll get us out of here. I’ll get us all out” remark with a little variation.

Robyn chewed her lip. She had no clue how the others were coping or even if they were alright. She had been incapacitated quite quickly in the attack – no time to fight or get her knife out before she had been thrown down. She hadn’t been able to see much but from what she had heard she knew that things had gone badly.

Tanner winced as he touched the black eye that he was sporting.

“Leave it alone and it’ll heal faster.” She snapped. He looked at her, wide eyed. She had been subdued enough since they had arrived –spare for the tiny row she had started when Tanner had needed to pee and she had refused to turn around because she had become quite comfortable. She had ended up just closing her eyes – the battle half won for her.

“What’s up?” He asked. She shook her head, wishing that she still had her knife to distract her. They could have taken turns throwing it at moving targets – there were cockroaches everywhere.

‘Nothing –sorry.”

He scooted closer, seemingly intent on having a deep and meaningful conversation.

She sighed deeply. “I just wish we’d get some information on what’s to come – anything. I’d even kill for some hand to hand combat right now.” As soon as the words were out of her mouth she regretted them. The image of that poor soldier still haunted her dreams. Kill. She’d killed and she wished that she could turn back time and undo it.

“I killed a man.” She blurted out.

Tanner stared at her, shocked.

“Huh?”

She rocked back, biting down hard on her lip – trying to draw blood. She needed a distraction.

“We were escaping the Institute. We were near the fence – so close. Then a Security officer grabbed Valerie by the arm – nearly dragged her away. We had to escape – we all did, together. He was going to hurt her – I could see it in his eyes. Hell-bent on getting revenge”

 She rubbed her face, forcing herself to slow down. She had become nearly incoherent – speeding through the tale.

 “So, I grabbed my knife on instinct and just threw it. It was just like practice but instead of a dummy I hit a man square in the chest and he went down. Just- boom.”

She laughed bitterly and shook her head again. “I killed him. I killed a goddamn man. He worked for Security and was roughly your age – he could have been you. ”

Tanner reached over to pull her into a hug which she accepted gratefully, trying not to cry. She hadn’t told anyone what she battled with everyday - she was stronger than that. She had to be.

“It was valid, though. You did it to save your friend from something much worse. You did a good thing, okay? You’re still a good person.”

Robyn nudged him away, gently. “You keep on thinking that Tanner-  we both know that’s a lie.” She laughed despite herself.

“It’ll get better, Ro.”