Chapter 17

Tanner made it back just before nightfall, bringing with him emergency kits for all. Everyone had packed the essentials and were prepared to leave at any moment.

“She’ll settle in nicely, she’s found her place.” He said with a yawn once he had collapsed onto a chair. “Guys can we just leave tomorrow? I’m going to fall asleep any minute.” His head was sliding down as he spoke.

Monica agreed with him and urged everyone upstairs quickly to sleep.

Minutes later Valerie was curled up with Tanner, feeling his chest rise and fall slowly against her back. They would lose their comfort in only a few hours, thrown back into the wilderness or worse – Sin City. It would also mean separate sleeping bags which meant no spooning with Tanner. Hence the reason that she fought against sleep.

You’re being stupid, you know that? He wouldn’t even look your way twice if he was awake. Not even once if you were lucky.

Valerie had no way to escape the cruel remarks of her inner demon and therefore had to just fight back.

He would, you don’t know what you’re talking about, she thought back at it.

Prove it then. Tell him. If you’re so sure then he should just jump at the opportunity. Your Tan-aaah. Bah. You’re being stupid.

What happened? Why are you so annoyed? What did I do? she thought.

Oh you know exactly what you did. Just go to sleep. Now. Please. Or at least just stop thinking – I want silence.

With a lot of grumbling Valerie slowed her breathing and finally fell asleep, much to the delight of her little helper.

***

The next morning it was her duty to carry the water and that meant getting up early, bundling up well and stepping outside into the cold. Using the device that clever Monica had through up, Valerie lugged the stick across her upper shoulders - an immense bucket of water dangling from each end.

Don't forget your promise, hon. Tell Tanner. That way you'll shut up and stop with the whole thing.

Valerie gritted her teeth and pressed on with the task at hand. She wouldn't let her spirit succumb to the downer of her inner voice.

"I'll just be right." Valerie grunted, nearly tripping over an exposed tree root and almost wasting a whole half an hour's work.

Oh we'll see. I have the insight, remember?

That valid point made Valerie's stomach turn.

Six trips to and fro from  the stream later, Valerie paced the length of the kitchen, rehearsing her impromptu speech while twisting her sweaty hands together.

What was she thinking, doing something as stupid as this. The potential fate of her whole life hung in the balance and there she was obsessing over a childhood crush. If Mabel had still been around, she would have called her pathetic. Valerie just treated the event like a chance to make or break it - if he didn't return the feelings (quite unlikely a scenario, Valerie thought) then she could stop and just let it go. But if he did then she could openly express herself around him which meant no more pent up frustration and confusion. It was just a chance to put it all out on the line. She took a deep breath.

See you on the other side, hon. Don't cry too much.

"Tanner? Can you come down to the table, please? I have to speak to you." She yelled, regretting it almost instantly. Stupid, stupid, stupid plan, she thought.

"Can it wait?" Was the reply from upstairs.

"Not really." Her voice broke midway through her short sentence, making her squeak. She heard his heavy footsteps down the stairs and took her place at the front of the table, arranging herself to look as casual as possible and failing terribly.