Chapter XXIII: Just Another Day

Ξεκινήστε από την αρχή

(Y/N) "Bye!"

(Y/N) waved at Freckles as he disappeared into the crowd. He turned to face me and took a few steps forward. I tried to look unfazed as if all he said was referring to someone else, but I know what he meant...

(Y/N) "I forgot to mention a few things about the master..."

He took one more step forward and before I knew what was going on, I felt a hand caress my left cheek before (Y/N)'s soft lips pressed gently against my right. (Y/N) pulled away as I looked at him in shock.

(Y/N) "He has a good heart, and cares deeply for his friends, and loved ones. Just as they loved him."

Ciel "(Y/N)..."

I felt the edges of my eyes burn, but before anything happened, I quickly wiped away any trace of what could be a show of weakness.

(Y/N) "Keep it together, soldier. Let's finish this investigation quickly and go back to the usual."

I brought my hand up and placed it atop his own, pushing it gently into my cheek before looking at him in the eye. With a determined glare, I nodded.

Ciel "Alright. I'll finish my chores and then rendezvous with you after my training. We can discuss our next moves then."

(Y/N) "Sounds like a plan."

His warmth left me as his hand let go of my cheek, leaving the cold wind to bite on once again. Though perhaps it was for the best as not long after, (Y/N) was approached by one of the circus members.

(???) "Excuse me, do you still have yesterday's newspaper?"

(Y/N) "Oh! Lucky for you, I do! Only have two left in fact, here you go!"

(???) "Ah thank you."

He turned back to me with a casual smile.

(Y/N) "Perhaps it'd be best if we returned to our assignments for now."

Ciel "Agreed."

With a nod, I left (Y/N) to his own devices and picked my box back up before lugging it over to the mess tent. A rather angry circus member yelled at me for delivering it late. Agitated as I was, I apologized with the excuse that I was given another chore along the way before leaving as I was given yet another pointless activity to pay for my lateness in delivering that previous crate...

*Timeskip*

The training was finally over and I left the main tent in search of a certain paperboy. After looking around for a few minutes, I found him sitting alone atop a crate in front of the mess hall. A wave indicated that he saw me. Apparently, he was waiting in front of the mess hall as it would be the first place most people would go for lunch – as if I would eat any of that slop. Now that we're reunited, we decided to move our conversation to a more secure place.

After a short walk, (Y/N) ended up bringing me to the back of the row of tents at the edge of the forest. I leaned myself against a tree while he stood in front of me with an oddly sympathetic smile.

(Y/N) "Life in the circus not cut out for you?" He said with a small, mocking chuckle.

I felt a vein pop in my forehead.

Ciel "Don't you even dare start this..."

(Y/N) "Okay, okay, no more joking about your present circumstance."

I cooled down during the pause in our conversation.

(Y/N) "So, what's your plan of action for tonight?"

Ciel "I'm going to investigate the private tents of the main crew. We're bound to find something there."

(Y/N) "Good move. I'd start with the ringleader's if I were you."

Ciel "What about you? Any problems on investigations from the outside?"

(Y/N) "No problems, but progress is... slow. The kidnappings don't happen every night. Judging from the pattern of missing children reported, we think it happens on Monday each week but we haven't been able to confirm that. Oh also!"

(Y/N) pulled out one of three rolls of newspaper he has left in his bag and handed it to me.

We continued to talk until we were interrupted by the arrival of a new voice calling out to us.

Freckles "Oi! Smiles! Newsboy!"

We turned our heads to see Freckles running towards us. Apparently, he was just looking for something to do and didn't do much other than join our conversation. Though, discussions were cut short by a certain remark he made...

Freckles "Oh. By the way, Smiles, we should go take a bath."

Ciel "E-excuse me?"