"Everleigh, um, this is my mom and sister."

"Thank you so much for that, Kingston."

"Oh my God, she does call you Kingston—" Esmé said. "I thought you were lying about your little Brit calling you by the government."

Maverick's little Brit.

Maverick made a face. "Why would I lie about that?"

"That's adorable—" Esmé looked at Everleigh and grinned. "You're adorable."

"Um, thank you?"

"If it doesn't work out with Mav, you can come visit me—"

"Esmé—"

"I said if not when, you can't get mad at me."

Maverick rolled his eyes. "I think Stevie is higher on the list than you. Get fucked."

"Rude." Esmé slapped Maverick in the shoulder.

Maverick smacked her in return. "I think she's higher than me too, E."

Esmé laughed. "Get fucked yourself."

Margaret snatched Maverick's phone from his hand and took a couple steps away from Esmé and Maverick, who continued to smack each other in the background. Everleigh watched Maverick remove his glasses before her attention returned to Margaret. "Were you actually sleeping, Everleigh?" she asked. "We can call another time."

"I—no, it's okay."

"Are you sure?" Margaret asked. "Mav should've texted you before."

"I did, Ma," Maverick called from the background. Everleigh ventured a gaze over Margaret's shoulder, where Esmé had Maverick in a headlock. Maverick nearly rammed her into the bookshelf trying to get her off him.

"Correction: Mav should've waited until you replied," Margaret said.

"It's okay," Everleigh said, forcing herself to sit up and lean against the headboard. "It's nice to meet you."

"Where are you right now?" Margaret asked.

"Tokyo."

Margaret smiled. "A beautiful city."

"Ow, E!" Maverick yelled.

"It really is gorgeous," Everleigh said.

Margaret continued to ignore her kids, which was valid if they'd been wrestling the entire time Maverick had been home. Everleigh would've ignored them too if she'd been through two weeks of that. "What's your favourite city you've visited?"

"Edinburgh," Everleigh said. "New York is up there as well. But Edinburgh is number one."

"I've never been," Margaret said, "but New York is stunning."

"If you ever do go, I'd love to be a tour guide," Everleigh said. "I know lots of bookstores." There was one indie store that sold science fiction and fantasy novels that Everleigh loved visiting any time she went to Edinburgh. Taking Margaret to the bookstores would be fun.

"That would be lovely." Margaret smiled.

"Stop—ow—" Maverick winced as Esmé grabbed a handful of his hair. He turned and tackled Esmé to the ground. "No asking my mom on bookstore dates!"