Chapter Fifty-Seven: Joe, Friday

Start from the beginning

Tonight was no exception, and Joe was only just able to hold the man back from flying at Al as he shouted, "I'm not a fucking thief! Fuck you!"

The third friend had by this time returned with the bouncer. "Hey! Hey! Break it up!" the bouncer shouted, putting himself between Al and the man Joe was holding back. "I think it's time for you all to go."

"They started it!" shouted the two men holding phones.

"He started it!" Lauren, Rachel and Tej retorted, pointing at the first man.

"You're all causing a disturbance!" the bouncer shouted. "If you don't clear out I'll call the police!"

"Call them," Al said. "This man went through the purse of the woman he was sitting with. She might want to press charges."

"I don't need to steal from anyone," the guy said with a smirk. "I make plenty of money. Did you see the green Dodge Challenger in the parking lot? That's mine."

Two things happened almost simultaneously. The first was Joanie reemerging from the bathroom. Joe saw her out of the corner of his eye, strolling to them as if nothing at all was the matter, her face politely curious at the coomotion in the middle of the bar.

The second was the reemergence of Sunny, whom Joe had seen leaving earlier for some reason. He looked around urgently, spotted them and shouted, "Does anyone here own a green Dodge Challenger?"

The owner turned around and said, "That's me."

"I think I just saw someone break into it."

"Shit!" The owner reached into his pocket for his phone. His friends put away theirs and charged for the door. Sunny stood aside for them. The bouncer accompanied the owner to the door as the owner dialled 911.

Joe looked at Al, whose mouth had fallen open. He looked to the three women, who were looking to the door in disbelief.

"What's going on?" Joanie asked as she reached them.

"I think your guy's car just got stolen," Joe said. He leaned in and asked, low enough that only they could hear, "You didn't ask Fatima to do it, did you?"

"No!" Joanie said with a laugh. "Why would I do that?"

"I think the best thing for us to do right now is get the hell out of here," Lauren said, "all in separate cars at separate times, and meet at an agreed upon place. This is a new development none of us expected."

"Good thinking," Al said.

"I should be responding if an actual crime has taken place," Joanie said.

"Fuck that," Rachel said. "He doesn't deserve your consideration after all he's done to you. Besides, you're supposed to be incognito."

"We'll leave first, then Joanie, then Al and you," Lauren said to Joe. "We'll text you the location in a minute. When we get there, Joanie, we're going to check your purse. Your man there was rummaging through it."

Joanie's face darkened. "That fucker. Did he spike my drink? That's what I was going to check for."

"We didn't see."

"Okay, go. We shouldn't be seen to be talking too long here."

 Al promptly returned to his stool. Joe returned to his, and Rachel, Lauren and Tej returned to their table, put on their coats and left. Joanie followed soon after. Five minutes later, Al put on his coat and left. Joe felt like he'd need to pay rent on the stool soon if he didn't order another drink, so he put on his coat and left. 

He didn't see where the others had gone, but he saw the guys from the confrontation gathered in the space where the Dodge Challenger must have been, all talking on their phones, pacing and gesturing. They must have all arrived in the same car to be so distressed about it; idly he wondered who was supposed to be the designated driver, since they'd all had a beer in their hands. It was probably better not to be around when the cops arrived.