Chapter 8 - Whispers of Kyber

3rd Person

Jedha was no ordinary desert moon; for many pilgrims there was no moon more sacred. Scattered across the wintry dunes were ruins of an ancient civilization, one that had almost no written history left. Some believed Jedha to be the birthplace of the Jedi Order, though most scholars defaulted to Coruscant. Regardless, Jedha City was a hotspot for all denominations of force-believers. The city itself had ancient history, but its main attraction was the massive temple situated in the center. 

(y/n) POV

It was refreshing to be in a more... natural environment for once, to say the least. It's not that I didn't like Coruscant, but eventually you wanted to get out of the smog and breath some fresh air. I could do without all the sand though, a few trees and I'd be a happy padawan.

Jedha City was breathtaking. As I walked beside my master and the four troopers, the city's rich culture was put on display for all of us. Dozens of pilgrims shuffled past us, all draped in bright-colored robes. If you took away the colors, they'd fit right with the order. My master marched onward with purpose, eventually leading us into a dimly lit bar dubbed "The Evening Star."

"Act normal, and don't discuss anything I revealed earlier." my master ordered as we sat down in a circular booth. Ten minutes passed, then three guests arrived. The trio were fitted with silky white cloaks, and wore masks similar to that of a Jedi Temple Guard. The one in the middle proceeded to unmask, revealing himself as the elderly man we'd viewed during the briefing. 'Leene Donnall,' was it? His hair was pure white and wispy.

"Jedi Master Adi Gallia, it's an honor to be in your service." echoed the three, kneeling before my master. 

"There's no need for that." my master corrected, motioning them to stand. "Priest Donnall, you reported possible CIS activity at the Temple of the Kyber. Am I correct in that assessment?"

"Hm, it's a bit more complicated than that." the priest lamented gruffly. 

"Priest Donnall!" one of the priest's aides cried out in objection. 

"Hela, please allow me to speak." the priest requested calmly. 

"Forgive me." she apologized. Then Priest Donnall spoke, seeming extremely troubled. 

"The transmission you received was from one of our members, though I was unaware of the report until recently. There has been frequent thieving of kyber at the temple, something I'm deeply ashamed of. As of yet, we've been unable to catch the culprit. However, there is no sign of separatist activity. Jedi Master Gallia, I'm deeply sorry. I've wasted your time, and sullied the name of the Jedi by failing to stop your temple's desecration." At this point, the elder was again on his knees. This time, the frail old man was begging for forgiveness. 

"As I said before, there's no need for that." Master Gallia repeated. "Surely we can still inspect the temple? We may yet catch the perpetrator."

"Of course, Master Gallia! You don't need my permission to inspect your temple." the priest chuckled nervously. Without hesitation, we left for the temple with the church members as our guides. 

The temple was close in proximity to the tavern, though we encountered an issue while trying to pass through the great wall. The large, ornate gate that connected the old city and the new city was obstructed by a violent brawl.