11- S🅱️inalla

Start from the beginning

He stifled a laugh and shook his head. He sent me a wink, making the girl turn in confusion. My heart raced as I turned quickly, pulling my hoodie over my head. A few moments later, I turned back slowly to find that she had returned her attention to Alessandro. 

A flare of jealousy ran through me as she placed her hand on his arm. I knew it was all part of the act, the act of being single, but I would be lying if I said it didn't hurt when he placed a hand on the small of her back as they walked towards me. 

I sighed, turning my back to them. 

I guess he would be walking with her to the Ferrari garage. 

~

When I finally made it to the McLaren garage, it was relatively empty. The mechanics were all out on the track, getting the cars ready for the 63 lap race.

I dumped my shit into my cabinet and then took my seat, this time at the pit wall. Zak had insisted I join him there for no apparent reason, but I had a feeling he wanted to evaluate my work ethic. Or some other form of an assessment of my abilities. 

I smiled as the camera's zoomed in to show Alessandro's family in the Ferrari garage. A tiny square on the pitwall screen showed the live broadcast, which was proving to be more of a distraction. 

Putting on my headphones, I shifted my attention to Carlos.

E>"Radio check?"

C>"Copy."

E>"45 seconds to lights out."

I couldn't help but let my eyes stray to the TV screen displaying the starting grid. My heart skipped a beat, the shiny number 15 glistening on the red Ferrari. 

Alessandro's first home race in a Ferrari. 

A smile tugged at my lips as I remembered how he excitedly rambled about his P2 finish in the sprint yesterday. I was honestly hoping for a Ferrari win this weekend, Alessandro deserved it. 

"Max is pointing his wheels towards you," I mumbled, my eyes trained on the TV. 

C>"What?"

E>"Sorry, ignore that."

C>"Okay, do I push first lap or let the tires warm up more?"

E>"You can push, looks like there's more rain on the way."

"Fuck," I muttered to myself. 

For a moment I forgot Alessandro was no longer on the other end of the radio. 

I could faintly hear the 'it's lights out and away we go! 'through my headphones and forced myself to focus on Carlos. 

That proved to be harder than expected as the roar of the crowd sounded throughout the track. 

Alessandro had overtaken Max before the first turn. 

I grinned, goosebumps rising on my skin. But it quickly turned into a frown. 

"Carlos Sainz hits Charles Leclerc and the Ferrari is spun around! Sainz manages to keep going, but the Ferrari is stuck in the gravel! In the Scuderia's home race, Charles Leclerc is out of the Emilia Romagna Grand Prix1!"

C>"Ahh, someone hit me from the back."

E>"We're checking."

I cursed under my breath, scanning the replay as Ivan assessed the car for any damaged. I couldn't see anyone near Carlos in the moments before the touch. It seemed as though he had just lost control of the car.