Envy [chapter 29]

Start from the beginning

Peter and Flash stared at her like she was a zebra in a reptile house. They were both expecting her to brutally reject the girl. But she didn't, and they felt like idiots. Had they not known her for a decade? It should've been physically impossible for her to go against what they thought she was going to say.

"Son of a biscuit basket," Flash said, too appalled to even curse. He pinched himself three times over just to make sure he wasn't dead or something. "Did that snowball finally get its chance in hell?"

Brown eyes peered at her, cautiously dancing across those extremely beautiful features of her's. Peter couldn't fathom her working with somebody who so obviously had a crush on him. Ever since he could remember, she always hated being around people who expressed interest in him. He always thought it was because there was always an awkward tension that would form. But after the kiss—

No, no. She wouldn't want him to think about it all the time. If he did, he'd act differently around her. Peter didn't like it when she acted slightly off, so why should he be allowed to do so? It was only fair that he kept it even.

So he wouldn't think about the kiss. Not around her at least.

"Flash, let's go to your station," Peter finally spoke for the first time since the bell rang to signal the beginning of that class hour.

He watched as Flash opened his mouth to say something, but Peter was up and yanking Flash back in the direction in which he originally came from before he could. It was no secret that Liz and y/n had some sort of mutual hatred for one another. It was also no secret that Liz liked Peter and Peter liked y/n.

And because of Liz's feelings for him, Peter did not want to stick around long enough to get involved in whatever argument he knew was inevitably coming.

As he and Flash sat down at the new lab station, they both started making a small barrier of graduated cylinders. You know? The clear things used to measure liquids. Yeah, even if Peter didn't want to be brought into the discussion, he still was nosy. And the same could be said about Flash.

"Ten bucks Liz is going to call her a hoe for always hanging out with us," Flash whispered.

"You still owe me that money for the 'getting a girl's number with my smoothness' bet," Peter rose a brow and crossed his arms. He watched as Flash fished his hand into his pocket and pulled out three twenties, stuffing them into Peter's hand.

Flash rolled his eyes, "There. Now are you betting on the hoe or not?"

"Did you just call y/n a hoe?" Peter asked defensively. Nobody was allowed to call her that except for— well, actually nobody was allowed to call her that period.

"I meant Liz," Flash spoke calmly. It was a simple miscommunication. His fault that time.

Peter thought about an answer, "It's rude to call any woman a hoe."

"Peter, just answer my damn question. Do you think Liz is going to say something degrading to y/n or not?" Flash was getting fed up. If he didn't know any better, he would think Peter was dodging the question. But he didn't know better, and he knew Peter was just trying to get on his last nerves.

Which, in case you were wondering, was working perfectly well.

"Yeah, sure. I don't really care," Peter waved Flash off. "I will, however, start actually giving a fuck when I see just the smallest amount of discomfort on l/n's face. I'm killing Liz if she makes my damsel upset."

Flash cradled his chin in his hand, looking at Peter from the side of his eyes. He watched as Peter watched her carefully. And as he did, envy started to take place within him.

Man, did Flash wish he could express his care for her the way Peter did. If only he had that same softness to him. Maybe, just maybe, she would look at him as fondly as she looks at Peter. And maybe, just maybe, if he had that same nerdy sort of personality, she would finally talk to and about him the way she did with Peter.

Truly, Flash didn't feel more jealous towards anyone than he did towards Peter.

At the same time though, he was glad. He was glad that Peter was getting the girl he wanted since before he himself even knew he'd liked her. Peter deserved it in Flash's opinion.

That stupid geek had treated her with respect since day one. Flash, on the other hand, went through a phase where he thought the only way to get her attention was by hitting on her. He should've been more like Peter. He wished he was more like Peter. As abnormal as that was when taking his "hatred" of the boy into account.

But even if he was exactly like Peter, he'd never stand a chance with her. Flash was too easily controlled; that much was apparent. And she wanted someone wild. Someone like... Spider-man.

The hero had proven numerous times that he was uncontrollable. There were clips all over the internet of him being sassy towards the police he would work with on occasion. Many pages praised the young hero on his defiance of authority while also following the law.

She was able to control that. She was able to keep Spider-man from going completely crazy. She was able to keep the leash on Spider-man that even the police couldn't manage. And she could do that all with a few simple words of she felt like it.

She was like...

The Spider Whisperer.