twelve.

✩°̥࿐

Louis hasn't heard from Harry all weekend. He had typed out and deleted over twenty messages before sending them to the man. He understands what Harry was feeling, the way he had dealt with losing someone when Beverley left and knowing how hurt Margo was for years, not understanding why her mother wasn't around. But what frustrates Louis the most is that he's not her . He had hoped he would've made that clear to Harry over the period of their relationship, and it scares him to think, has he not?

Unsure of going to work, he does anyway, considering it is his job, as Harry made that very clear. As he gets ready, it feels off, knowing he would see Harry and the fact the last thing he had said to him was telling him to leave.

When he walks into the house, Harry isn't there to greet him; no kiss, no dimpled smile, no hug that's so tight it lifts him off the ground. But what is there is a little girl looking so thrilled to see him.

"Hi, Lou!" she greets brightly, bouncing on her toes and seeming too energized for a Monday morning.

"Hey, Mar!" Louis smiles, masking the obvious hurt he feels on the inside for her. Because he would do anything for her. When Margo lifts her arms, jumping to indicate her request to be picked up, Louis playfully groans but does anyway. "Aren't you too big to be picked up now?" he asks.

"No, never." She shakes her head as Louis carries her to the kitchen and plops her down on the counter. There is still no sign of Harry, which is weird. He's usually either in the kitchen making his own coffee or waiting for Louis to make his coffee for him.

Out of habit, Louis flicks the kettle on, waiting for the water to heat up, listening as Margo rambles on about her weekend. Louis tries to listen but can't help but zone out thinking about the last time he was in this kitchen and what had happened.

"—Lou, are you listening?" Margo asks, slightly annoyed.

"Yes, sorry," he apologizes, reaching for a mug from the cupboard and quickly making Harry's coffee — two dashes of milk, no sugar. "Continue."

"Anyway, so then when the movie was over, me and mommy made sundaes and I put a whole bottle of sprinkles on mine!" She raises her arms to emphasize how much. Just when Louis is about to respond, he turns and sees Harry standing in the doorway. His hands pause as he tries to tie his tie, staring at Louis for a second before his gaze lands on Margo.

"Margo, off the counter," he scolds her, stepping into the room and helping her down.

"Sorry, daddy." She pouts, rounding over to the stool and sitting there, her eyes landing on the two men, confusion flickering over her face.

"I'm going to be staying late at work tonight. I can ask Gemma or my mom to come so you don't have to stay late," Harry starts, keeping his focus on his tie and not the boy in front of him. Louis could scream at how frustrating it is to have him so close but feel so far.

"It's fine, I can stay. It's never a problem," Louis assures him with a quiet voice, feeling small at the thought of Harry asking someone else to watch Margo so he wasn't in his space for longer than necessary.

"Okay, I'll—" He pauses, dropping his botched attempt at his tie. Louis wants to reach over and do it for him so badly, but knows he can't. "I'll be heading out now."

"Bye, daddy! Have a good day." Margo waves at him with a smile. Louis can't help but feel fond at how sweet she is no matter what. He's glad she doesn't notice the tension that's thick between them.

Once Harry is gone, Louis realizes he didn't even take his coffee. The empty feeling deepens at that because he always takes his coffee. Huffing, Louis dumps it into the sink and plops the cup into the dishwasher.