18 | No Longer Away

"Is Lady Moira trying to kill you?" The celestial creature commented from his end of the Dark Lord's plush couch

"I'm immortal," The Dark Lord replied, sinking more into the comfort of his favourite seat. Finally, he had been able to sit on the plush couch, glad that the celestial beast had not brought its filthy dietary habits back in with it today.

The Dark Lord had spent a fortune of centuries' hard work collecting 'White Gold' from the numerous funerals he had attended whenever any of his Collectors failed to do the job of reaping correctly, all to buy this couch from a local mortal dealer. It did not matter how immortal he was; some mortal luxuries still could bring a smile to his face.

"Yeah, but she–" Rogue pointed to the girl across the hall. "She is gonna be the death of you."

Beyond a line of stone pillars with intricate grapevines carved into them sat a long oak table where Devereaux used to sit for meals or reading. It accommodated eighteen seats comfortably arranged around the oval tabletop. On one end sat Ada Levessa Romersai, chugging down yet another glass of Sherry. Devereaux had forgotten to mention that it was not like her usual servings, nor the goblet it was served which refilled the beverage itself with every chug she emptied. It was not the Sherry from the mortal realm and was supposed to be too strong for a plain human like her, but her dropping head and slurred mumbles indicated he was a little too late for the warnings. 

By the other end of the long table stood a towering wooden shelf adorned with an array of exquisite crystal decanters and ornate goblets, each vessel holding a distinct elixir of fine alcoholic craftsmanship. This collection, witnessed by Devereaux over nearly all his immortal life, served as a companion and solace, as he navigated through whatever the challenge posed by the nine thousand nine hundred and ninety-nine assignments handed down by Lady Fate so far.

After the unsettling events at the Sanctum involving Head Mage Erixir and the apparitions that attempted to assail them in the woods during their journey back, the Dark Lord vehemently opposed Ada returning to Serenel. The realm of normies, as he saw it, was unfit to safeguard the former heiress. Everyone familiar with her seemed to view her, whether dead or alive, as a potential threat. The Dark Lord, desiring a peaceful existence without the constant worry of her safety, strongly suggested and ultimately convinced Ada to accompany him to the Land of Shadows.

"I don't know what I'm gonna do with her once she's awake," the Dark Lord sighed, not bothering to take his eyes off the girl.

"Whatever you're gonna do, you'll have to face the wrath of Two Ladies first," the celestial creature responded, its bloodshot eyes fixed on the mortal in the room. "Taking the life of a human before they're due is against the laws, you know that."

While he had assured her it would be a brief stay, him explaining his sudden disappearance from her life (after Gan's love confession to her) one picturesque autumn night, the Dark Lord had no intention of sending her back anytime soon. Hence, he had not really worried with the cautionary note about the Sherry in question, which was actually a brew of Devil's Snarl: a type of immortal wine that was there to make immortal who could not get really drunk, a little tipsy, when she had quired about the fancy looking collection as the first thing after setting foot to his abode.