Chapter 64: Our World

I was so fucking tired

I was so fucking tired. With the jet lag, the overnighters, and especially the constant worrying about Phoenix, I'd barely gotten any sleep this past week. My phone was glued to my hands all day, every day, waiting for a text, a call, anything, really... 

On a road trip. Connor and I are taking care of him. Don't worry, we'll be back by Wednesday's meeting.

That was the only message I'd received by Idir, not-so-subtly telling me to stop blowing up his phone. I couldn't help it; I was worried as hell. Not just about Phoenix and his health, but also about the fact that he hadn't said a thing. Not a single word.

Last time he'd gone on a road trip, he'd at least texted me to make sure I didn't worry.

This time, I hadn't deserved that honor, it seemed.

"Michael, do you need me for this? I was here this morning already," Liam grumbled, taking a long drag from his vape pen. The cloud of artificial cherry scents made me scrunch my nose, and I shot him a glare. I fucking hated seeing his face here, hated that I had to see him not once, but twice today. After this morning's supervisor meeting, we were now waiting for Michael to start the official team business.

Team business meant everyone had to be here.

Everyone, including Phoenix. So far, there was no sight of him or Idir, though.

"Just a minute," Michael said, rolling his eyes at Liam. He glanced at his expensive watch, the sunlight reflecting right into my eyes. I squinted in annoyance, rubbing my eyelids just as I heard the door opening behind me.

It took a second to adjust my sight, the blindness slowly evaporating along with the fog Liam had created. But then I saw him.

Phoenix entered the room, Idir right on his heels. I blinked a few times, trying to sharpen my view, and also trying to understand he was really here. Phoenix was really right in front of me, dressed in all black and looking ready to fight a war.

To my surprise, he didn't take a seat next to Idir, who now approached the rest of Phoenix's team. Instead, he moved further into the room, came to a stop next to Michael, and gave him a quick hug. The two shared a few hushed words, while all I could do was stare at the exchange, until Michael turned back around to face the room, and with it the few dozen Azure employees.

"Okay, everyone. Phoenix requested to say a few words to all of you. Shut up and listen."

I would've laughed at his brazenness if it wasn't for the way Phoenix stood next to him, taller than I'd ever seen him and with determination imprinted in every fiber of his being. He cleared his throat as Michael took a seat next to him, casually waving his hand around to make Phoenix continue.

"I'll make this quick." Phoenix caught up with Michael's request. His gaze flicked around the room, taking in every single employee with a stare I had never seen in him before; he oozed power and confidence, the fire in his eyes leaving no room for interpretation.