Chapter 52: Discovering Dimensions

The setting sun shone through the gap of my guest room curtains, painting the space in a dark orange glow

The setting sun shone through the gap of my guest room curtains, painting the space in a dark orange glow. I opened the window to let some of the refreshing evening air in and leaned on the windowsill, watching the sunflowers dance in the barely existent wind. The sight helped sort my mind, guided me through the chaos that'd ensued tonight.

Jeremiah and Isla had left shortly after Florence did, neither of them saying another word to their son. Being left alone with him had been more than awkward, especially given the circumstances. Yes, we'd known each other from the paddock, but I'd never had a connection to him aside from his relation to the woman I loved. And now that he'd pissed off his entire family and myself, I had an even harder time trying to sympathize with him.

All I'd managed was to help him clear the table in silence before I'd made my way up the stairs.

I'd considered looking for Florence, but had decided against it. I knew where she was and what she was doing and figured she needed the space. If anyone knew what that's like, it's me.

She must've been gutted to hear her brother was behind all of that, conspiring with Connor to invade her father's privacy. I knew how much she valued his opinion and respected his wishes, especially since that accident. This was harder on her than it was on the rest of them, I imagined.

Taking a deep breath, I watched the sun linger on the horizon beneath an empty patch of grass in the backyard, hesitant to leave the day and start the night. Florence had told me her brother and her had been sparring out there a few times, testing their training and settling fights. 

I smiled at the mere thought of her kicking her brother's ass. 

Maybe it was time to get her soon.

"Sebastian's marrying your mother." Rafael's words made me spin around, surprised that I hadn't heard him enter.

He sat on the sofa on the other side of the room, staring straight at me. His eyes were glassy but furious, and the way his hair stood up to all sides told he must've run his hand through it one too many times.

"Yes. He is."

Rafael furrowed his brows in frustration, elbows resting on his knees as he clasped his hands together. "You hate him."

"Yes. I do." His inquiry was irritating me. Who was he to snoop around in my life?

"Then why are you not interested in this? Your mother could potentially marry a man who assaulted my father out of pure spite."

If it hadn't been for the way my heart ached from the mere mention of my mother, I probably would've lost my shit already. This guy knew nothing about the relationship between my mother and Sebastian, and even less about how it affected me.

It was close to impossible to understand just how big of an impact Sebastian Williams had on my life. His mere presence made my skin crawl, and he knew that. He used it to his advantage to make me uncomfortable whenever I'd visited them, probably hoping I'd stop seeing my mother. The fucker was a control freak, not stopping at anything to get what he wanted.