BIRTHDAY

Two Years Later

I was having a beautiful sleep on my soft mattress, after engrossing myself in hours of revision. And Ehaan had made it a mission that I concentrate on my studies the most. Forbidding any activity, even my sleep hour was cut short. I grumbled as I felt a touch on my shoulder and a familiar voice reached my ears.

"Angel..." He nudged my shoulder slowly pulling my head on his lap. "Wake up! It's time for school..." His hand slowly stroked my wavy, soft curls. "Angel..."

"Hmm... please Ehaan just a few more minutes..." I pleaded, nuzzling my face further into his lap.

"You will get late to the school..." He turned me, slowly raising my face from his lap, and making me to seat on his. "Today is your first examination." He requested and I rubbed my eyes to glance at him. "You don't want to end up late for the examination that holds so much importance." I pouted listening to his serious tone.

"Don't sound like my mom," I grumbled causing a chuckle to escape from his throat. That melody could lighten my mood any day. I leaned further into his chest. Fully aware I was wasting my time. My face nuzzled into his broad muscle, that had expanded over the past few years. "I am nervous..." I confessed my anxiety to him. "I won't be able to make it..." 

"You will..." His chin rested on my head, pulling me further into his chest. His confidence had only increased in the past few years, pulling me to further heights. "Stop, stressing yourself." He planted a kiss on my hair. "You will make it to our university..." his faith in me oozing from his words.

"Really?" I inquired and he hummed in response, motivating me further. I wanted to make it because I feared losing him. I was aware of his growing fan base at the university.

•••

I had answered my last paper and could finally have rest for a month before the board. I had forced myself to wake early in the morning though our school had offered us a break. I grabbed a seat at the dining table. My parents were staring at me in horror as they saw me taking a slice of bread and having a bite of it.

"Aren't you on break?" Mom inquired, staring at me with suspiciousness.

I nodded, munching it without caring it tasted awful.

"So, why are you awake?" Dad interrogated further.

"Because it's Ehaan's birthday." I kept my eyes fixed on the bread not wanting them to glance at my blush.

"Oh! How could I forget it?" Mom yelled in displeasure. "Do wish him from my side..." she mentioned, I raised my eyes at her. She looked concerned. We were informed by Anuj, on my various attempt to call him two years back that Ehaan won't ever pick up his cell. Neither would he receive a call nor step out of his room. It was weird but when I heard Ehaan claiming that he hates the day he was born. It ached my heart.

"Do you think... I shouldn't talk to him about it?" Dad inquired, staring at mom. She looked uncertain, her eyes hesitating to glance between us.

"What is it, dad?" I asked seeing them tense.

"He needs to pull out of his past," Dad muttered not hiding a thing from me. During past years, dad had turned comfortable around Ehaan. They even shared a beautiful relationship with one another. Spending hours in their serious talk about life, football, and everything on the planet.

"Dad, you know it's not that easy." I shook my head. "He is trying... to brush the past. Accepting his mom's expectation over him." I grumbled. Dad nodded in agreement. The same agony passed his spirit, the one I glimpsed in Ehaan.