Chapter Fifty-Six: Al, Friday

Start from the beginning

Even Joe was looking at him now, which was bad, because Joanie was taking her drink back to her table, and the guy was following her. He turned away, hoping Joe would take the hint and snap back to watching Joanie.

"Well, Samson hasn't been peeing," Mom said. "I only started noticing when I didn't find any clumps in the litter box. Then I noticed him going in and out of the litter box and yowling in distress. I called the vet and he told me to take him right away to the animal hospital. They discovered he had a blocked urinary tract and a bladder full to nearly bursting."

Al thought his legs were going to give out on him. "Fucking hell," he breathed, forgetting to watch his mouth around his mother in his distress. "Mom, is he...?"

"They're operating on him right now," she said. "I'm not leaving until I know he's in the clear. They think they got it in time."

"Oh, Jesus." Now the tears were coming, and he didn't care who saw. He plopped himself back on the stool. His cat, his buddy, his only companion in those lonely years after Agnes moved away and before Rachel came back into his life, was in danger, and here he was, in a bar he didn't like, drinking bad beer and watching lecherous men make advances on his wife, when all he wanted to do was race home and be by Samson's side, because he couldn't help feeling like this was his fault, somehow; if he hadn't left Samson with his mother, this wouldn't have happened. Samson missed him, and it had expressed itself as a health emergency that nearly killed him. He knew it was stupid to think that way; he'd had to leave him with Mom when they went to Harrison Hot Springs last August, and then he'd had to stay because their previous house had burned down and they hadn't moved into their new one yet. It was just easier to leave him where he was, and Mom was happy to have him because he was the best cat who ever lived. Samson seemed happy whenever Al went to visit him and mow Mom's lawn. Maybe a little heavier because Mom spoiled him even more than Al did...

"They think it might have been his diet," Mom said, as if reading his mind. "It happens more with indoor cats, apparently. Crystals form in their urinary tract and block the flow of urine. The poor thing, can you imagine having to go and not being able to?"

He squeezed his legs together and looked around, noticing that Joanie was heading for the washrooms. The man was still at her table. "No, I can't," he said, looking for Rachel. She locked eyes with him, still looking concerned about his call, but he gestured with his head to Joanie's table. She looked, then leaned in and spoke in Lauren's ear. Lauren then leaned in and spoke in Tej's ear. He wished he could hear what they were saying.

"Wait," he said. "How did you get Samson to the hospital?"

"I called a taxi, dear."

"You didn't think to call me?"

"Well, I thought it would be quicker not to have you come all the way from Burnaby. I called Joanie because she lives close to me, but she didn't pick up. If there were the equivalent of a pet ambulance I would have called that. I'm calling you now, though."

"You called Joanie before me."

"Al, I couldn't wait, and what if you were busy with family?"

"Still, Mom, to think you had to do this on your own..."

"I'm not an invalid, Al."

"Jesus, I should be there..." He noticed Rachel, Lauren and Tej walking to the washrooms, now. "but I can't go yet..." 

"Don't go out of your way, Al. He's still in surgery. Once I find out how he is, I'll call you. Maybe, if you feel up to it, if Samson's out of the woods, you can visit him tomorrow morning before you go to Kelowna."

"I'll do everything I can to make it before we leave."

"Now, when you go to Kelowna..."

"Yes?"

"Be careful, please. You said Linda was going to be there. Do not make any noises about being Richard's son."

Al suddenly wondered if this was the real reason for his mother's call. It seemed so unimportant next to his cat's near-death experience, but he knew Mom was desperate not to make waves with Richard's family.

"Don't worry, I won't," he said. "Are you sure you don't want to come, yourself?" He had offered her one of the tickets, thinking Emma might want to stay home with Naomi, but Mom had refused.

"Definitely not," she said again. "I can't be in the same room as Richard with Linda there. I'm too worried my face will give the game away."

"All right."

"Besides, I'm not much of a wine drinker, and I don't want to fly in a small plane."

"It's fine, Mom, I just thought I'd ask again." He looked up again and felt his stomach drop when he saw an argument brewing between Lauren and the man at Joanie's table, Rachel and Lauren pointing at something on the table. Then he noticed the men who were chatting with the women back at their table were sidling over to see what was going on, and then he noticed Joe had risen from his stool in readiness to start busting heads if he had to. "Look, Mom, I think we're getting ready to leave, so I should probably go," he continued, "but call me once the vets tell you how he is."

"Will do. Bye, Al."

"Bye." He put his phone back in his pocket, stood from his stool and hurried forward to help. 

Uh-oh, things are getting tense. What did the women spot at Joanie's table? Will Joe lose his cool and start punching? You'll have to wait for the next chapter to find out. Thanks for reading this far! If you liked what you read so far, hit "Vote" to send this title up the ranks. If anything doesn't ring true about cat urinary health, leave a comment and let me know. I strive for authenticity.

To see if Joe keeps his cool, and what the gang discovers about Joanie's stalker, click on "Continue reading."