“So, where’s your date?” His friend asked with a smirk.

“I have no clue and I don’t care man.” Ian said nonchalantly.

Brett immediately stopped. ‘What did he mean by that?’ He quickly thought. Did Ian not want him to be there? He suddenly decided to stay behind the crowd and try to listen further.

“Oh come on now. Precious Bretty would be sad.” His friends laughed.

“Oh fuck off, I ain’t a faggot.” Ian scoffed as he playfully punched them in the shoulder. “I ain’t dating a loser like him.”

Brett felt hurt hearing that. He had a point though, he was a loser. Who would date an asian violinist anyway? Tears began to prickle his eyes, now that the words had been spilled.

“Then why the fuck would you do that..?” He began to shout, making everyone turn around. Even the dj stopped the music to know the commotion. Ian and his friends turned to face him.

“Brett?” Ian looked at him and sighed. “Look, sorry to know it this way but I was gonna tell you.”

Brett couldn’t believe what he said to him. He clenched his hand into a fist. “W-why? Just why was that necessary huh?!” His loud yelling filled the whole room, making everyone circle around them. But he couldn’t care less about that.

“Hey now, it was all just a silly dare!” Ian admitted. The whole crowd began to whisper and gossip at each other. “It was a big bet so I can’t say no to that!”

“All for a fucking dare.. How pathetic.” Brett grumbled.

“Oh don’t call me pathetic sweetheart. You’re the one who fell for it.” Ian and his friends laughed at him.

He couldn’t even face him anymore, all he could do was face the ground while everyone giggled like little girls. Oh how he hated it.

“Next time, don’t be too naive, Bretty. Especially when the popular kids ask you out!” They all laughed again.

Brett couldn’t handle all of this anymore and ran away from the crowd. 

-

That’s how he ended up running away. He quickly went to the guy’s toilet and locked himself in one of the stalls. He sat on the toilet seat before letting out quiet sobs. “How can you be so stupid.” He said to himself, crying even more.

He then stopped as he heard the bathroom door open. The guy must’ve heard the sobbing earlier as he asked “Hello? Someone here.”

“Y-yeah..” He mumbled.  

“Oh good, I thought I’m hearing things again.” The guy chuckled. “Can you come out?”

“Is it necessary?” He spat bitterly at the person. “A-are you gonna humiliate me too?”

The guy must’ve been confused. “What the hell? I would never do that mate.”

Brett sighed heavily as he stood up and showed himself. It seemed like the guy felt bad for him as he immediately asked. “Are you okay bro??”

“I got h-humiliated in front of everyone because of my naivety. Do you think I’m okay??”

“Oh.” The guy said. “So you're Brett Yang. Ian’s new victim.”

“Great. Now everyone knows how foolish I am.” The violinist sobbed. “God, I hate this.”

“I know how you feel, he did this to me too.” The guy said softly. “But trust me, things are going to get better along the way.”

Brett then looked at him. His eyes, he was serious. How many people had that guy fooled? He didn’t care about that though, he was still hurt. He wiped his tears with shaky hands and just nodded, what else is gonna say anyways? He sighed again.

He was about to leave the area until the guy asked, “W-well you looked like y-you need a hug… Want one?”

“Is this another trick?” Brett began, feeling really skeptical about it.

“No, I k-kinda need one too and my date dumped me.” The guy admitted shyly as he scratched his neck.

Brett felt a bit bad for the other so he decided to give in and leaned in for a hug. He slowly melted from the hug as soon as he felt the other return it. He inhaled the scent of the other, feeling really comfortable. Soon enough, something sparked in him. It felt so different, the good kind of different. He immediately shook his head and shove those thoughts away before releasing himself from the hug.

The two of them smiled at each other, feeling a lot better.

“Thank you, uhmmm.” 

“Oh! Uhm, Eddy. Eddy Chen.” The guy said.

“Thank you Eddy.” Brett smiled once again.

“Anytime.”