Chapter 27 - Band

Start from the beginning

"Yes, I think she is enjoying the attention from him, that's for sure," Charlotte jokes, "don't tell anyone downstairs that I said that. I just stopped feeling all that sorry for Mary when she turned down Tony Gillingham." 

"Of course. What happens and is said in this room, stays in this room," Amelia smiles, "how was the party?" 

"It was good to see Papa let lose a little. I saw you and James dancing? What was going on there?" Charlotte asked, as Amelia blushed. 

"We only danced once. I'm pretty sure he fancy's Ivy," she shrugged, "if I may milady, I really must go and finish hemming your dress." 

"Of course, thank you," Charlotte smiled, dismissing Amelia and making her way to the kitchen where the cooks and assistants where busy working up a storm. 

"Milady, what can I do for you?" Jackson, the butler, asked standing up from the table as the rest of the servants also stood up. 

"Peter and I want to host a dinner on Friday, we were wanting to discuss the details with you, Mrs. Mayers, and Mrs. Collier?" Charlotte smirked. 

"I have some news, I have to go to America to take care of Harold. He's been floundering his wealth away and apparently I need to be there to help," Robert said taking Charlotte's hand. "I'll be gone for a month." 

"Peter, you better treat her well. I don't want to hear one bad word when I return," Papa said to Peter shaking his hand. 

"Of course Robert, wouldn't dream of it."

"And Lottie, stay safe and healthy, and if anything bad happens send a letter and I'll return immediately." 

"Don't worry Papa, I'll stay out of trouble," Charlotte smirked giving her father a hug. 

"Why is Thomas going as Roberts valet instead of Bates?" Peter asked. 

"Because Anna needs Bates, he can't go away for a month and a half while Anna's here alone," Charlotte said patting Peter's chest as they waved goodbye to Robert's car. 

 "I suppose, I just feel bad that Robert has to spend a whole month with Thomas. He is quite the downer," Peter joked as they all moved back to the house. 

"You didn't want to go with him mama?" Charlotte asked, as Cora shrugged. 

"There wouldn't be much of a point, I'm no help with Harold and Mama will be to focused on him to want to spend time with me, so I may as well stay home with my girls," Cora said grabbing Edith's hand.  

"I'm really craving some hot chocolate," Charlotte said to Peter, "Carson, can I have a mug of hot chocolate for me and Peter?" 

"Of course milady," Carson said as Mary stood up. 

"Make that one for all of us," she smirked as Tom chuckled.

After dinner when everyone was leaving Charlotte saw Violet leaving, she wasn't feeling all that well at dinner and wanted to make sure she was feeling better.

"Oh I'll be fine dear, no need to worry about me," Violet said gently pushing away Charlotte's hand. 

"Okay well Peter and I will come by tomorrow and check up on you okay?" Charlotte said, as Violet sighed. 

"What have you signed me up to do now?" Peter jokingly asked handing Charlotte her coat. 

"TO check up on my possibly ill grandmother Peter!" She said smacking his shoulder, "I know your free tomorrow so I just assumed you'd want to help my family." 

"How do you know my schedule?" Peter asked, as you both walked to the car. 

"You have your entire schedule on the calendar you hung up in the office. I pay attention to these things, as your loving wife," Charlotte said, patting his cheek lovingly.

The next day Charlotte and Peter drove over to Violets house to check up on her only to see her looking quite pale and coughing quite a bit. 

"I'll go fetch doctor Clarkson," Peter whispered as Charlotte nodded. 

"And Isobel, I think she'll take good care of her as well."

"Looks like bronchitis, she'll need proper supervision. I think we should hire someone to make sure her temperature is down and that pneumonia doesn't happen," 

"I'll stay," Isobel said as Charlotte tried to protest, "no, Charlotte. You're already at risk being here, let me take care of her." 

"Thank you," Charlotte said, giving Isobel a hug and wiping away a few tears. "We best be going, I'll come back in the morning." 

"The pigs have arrived," Tom said entering the library where Mary, Charlotte and Cora were. 

"They have? I would of come down if I had known," Mary said, standing up from her seat. 

"It's alright, it wasn't that exciting," Tom joked. 

"Are you going to that political meeting tonight Tom?" Charlotte asked flashing the newspaper. 

"I have tickets to go with Isobel, but she's looking after granny," Tom shrugged, "would you like to go with me Peter? Experience some good old European politics?"

Charlotte looked up at Peter and nodded. She thought it would be a good opportunity to get to know Tom a little bit better. 

"Sure! I'll have to take the day off work, but I would love to experience some British politics," Peter said as Toom nodded, they both got up and went to a different side of the library to talk about the discussion. 

"It's about time Peter took part in some politics," Robert joked.  as Charlotte chuckled.