Common People

May 1995

Erin bit her lip as she re-read the letter over and over. You have been accepted. She re-read it for the twelfth time. It definitely said accepted. Butterflies fluttered in her stomach. Her lecturer had suggested she put away an application for some up and coming poetry publishing house that was based in London. They were looking for a talented team of young writers to run events, recitals and publishing a monthly magazine showcasing new talent. Her lecturer knew the woman behind it all and he suggested she apply. She took his advice never expecting to hear back. But she had. She was in. She would be working and living in London come August.

She smiled thinking of Graham he would be closer to her too. Much closer. The thought was so tantalising. For nine months they had kept their long distance relationship a secret from most of their family and friends, well Erin's. Graham had the luxury of being honest with his much more accepting friends. This was it. She should tell Liam, Noel and her mum now if they responded badly she was leaving for London. She would tell them before she left. Definitely.

She ran downstairs with her bag packed. She was staying with Graham this weekend. A rare weekend away from recording. Their new album was almost done and ready to put out. Abd so was her brothers.

Peggy looked at Erin giving her a soft smile.

"I know you don't go to Laura's. I've known a while. When do I get to meet him? I was giving you time to tell me on your own. What are you so afraid of?"

Erin swallowed thickly feeling a heavy knot of guilt settle in her chest. There was no point continuing the lie.

"I wanted to tell you so badly. And I want you to know I'm...we're being careful and he's nice. He makes me happy. But Liam and Noel they...don't I mean they...won't like him and I don't want them to hate me so I had had do this."

Peggy smiled and gently touched her cheek.

"So grown up. Well they can't hate you. I won't let them. I want to meet him. If he's important to you he's important to me."

Erin impulsively hugged her mum tight as she swallowed the lump of emotion in her throat from her mums support.

She grinned.

"You've already met him."

Peggy frowned then smiled realising.

"Oh? So how long have you and Graham been going then?"

Erin blushed shyly.

"Since before my birthday."

Peggy's eyes widened.

"Quite a while. This is serious then?"

Erin shrugged but smiled.

"A bit yeah."

"Tell him to come for tea."

Erin felt a weight lift off her shoulders as she kissed her mum on the cheek.

"I will."

Erin drove towards London feeling light and free. At least her mum approved. One down, two to go. It hadn't been the right time to discuss London and her new job. All in good time. When the time was right.

Later

Erin listened to the sound of Graham's heartbeat beneath her ear. She smiled as she felt his fingers running down her spine as they lay in bed together.

She bit her lip unsure of how to tell him. She's kept the opportunity secret from everyone afraid of it going nowhere.

"What if we got to do this more...and if I was nearer you..."